Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure there are larger problems in the world then mine at this time, but i'm about to start loosing sleep over this one. LOL
I was running some room sweeps and found some issues with the room that I cant quite get rid of because of WAF and placement in the room/ 1.5 year old daughter.

So at the moment I have been looking for a second lms ultra for the room for a second sub so I can smooth room response as I have a nasty dip in an area that I cant eq out with out moving things around. Right now I have the ultra in a 7cf cab with 2 PR's tuned to 16Hz. It is placed directly behind the center of the couch witch is the sweet spot for movies/music.

At this point I cant find a second lms ultra 18" so I had talked to Nathan at Funk audio to see I he could offer a second cab and a subwoofer that would be close to the lms and integrate well together. He was saying that he had a sub that they had that modeled close to the lms and he could make me another cab with passives and driver for $2630 shipped. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a second soon. I got the OK from the GF so I don't want to waste this opportunity.

I only have the ability to move the one sub that I have now about 2 feet over and put the second close to the wall around 4 feet between the two of them. It's kind of a pocket that the sub sits in now that measures 10' wide and 4.5' deep with the couch back at the edge of the 4.5'.
I'm just trying to see if its a good idea to get this or if I should pass and sell the lms ultra and go a different direction that offers more placement or output that will help correct this room issue. I am not able to use panels on his room and it is open to the kitchen and dining area also. I don't have any pictures at the moment. What would you do? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I might help to mention that the driver position on the box is the active driver facing forward and the PR's are on each side of the box located on the top. It's like a rectangle standing up if that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Nathan has been great guy and builds great drivers. If you feel comfortable with spending this amount of money then you cant go wrong with a product from him. Which 18 will be used did he say?

I think most of his models are designed like pro audio specs with more excursion. Thats what I like in a subwoofer. His TSAD, GUJ and UH are all great designs in my opinion.

What will you be powering this new cabinet with?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powering all subs on a sanway fp14000 and minidsp for eq. The 18” GUJvX was the one nathen said would work well with the lms ultra.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Ahh well there ya go. This IS the DIY section so you could buy the driver but you would have to have PR's built. BUT if your not worried about the cost then he does make amazing products.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not able to do any wood working as I don't have tools or time to do the work. Nathan is awesome at what he does and that is the reason for having him "help" me get things done. I'm sorry about posting this in what I thought might be in the wrong area but I did not see a "custom" section in the forums.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
This is still the general section and your fine. Happy to see Nathans work going to anyone. He has some amazing products I wish I could own. SO with your options I think he is the best person to go to. I like his products and plan to be buying my own in the future.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,286 Posts
At this point I cant find a second lms ultra 18" so I had talked to Nathan at Funk audio to see I he could offer a second cab and a subwoofer that would be close to the lms and integrate well together. He was saying that he had a sub that they had that modeled close to the lms and he could make me another cab with passives and driver for $2630 shipped. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a second soon. I got the OK from the GF so I don't want to waste this opportunity.
Nathan is truly unique in that he not only knows acoustics and drivers/amps, he's also a gifted cabinet maker. There may be no one else like him in this industry. When you consider what the LMS Ultra used to sell for, $2630 for a finished sub with dual PR's that can match it is actually not all that expensive. If it's within your budget I don't see a reason not to go for it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first one he made me with the lms ultra and his passives is still truly impressive as I was watching suicide squad the other day and had no eqing other than audyssey. It was still digging deep enough to remind me that I don't need to go to a theater anytime soon. I also have him making a ported cabinet for a tc sounds epic 10" for the bedroom tuned to 20hz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts