Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it good to use THX processing for example with TrueHD, DTS HD MASTER, Atmos or is THX processing a thing of the past and while some modern receivers still carry it with todays new codecs is it best to leave it OFF?

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Is it good to use THX processing for example with TrueHD, DTS HD MASTER, Atmos or is THX processing a thing of the past and while some modern receivers still carry it with todays new codecs is it best to leave it OFF?
If you buy a piece of Equipment that is THX Certified it means it is able to meet certain performance specs...not an issue anymore as most of the equipment you buy anymore meets the specs now.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you buy a piece of Equipment that is THX Certified it means it is able to meet certain performance specs...not an issue anymore as most of the equipment you buy anymore meets the specs now.
That is correct, however THX receivers have THX processing with ReEq on/off. I was not asking about if it is able to meet certain performance specs but more on the subject of engaging THX mode to use THX processing.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
That is correct, however THX receivers have THX processing with ReEq on/off. I was not asking about if it is able to meet certain performance specs but more on the subject of engaging THX mode to use THX processing.
Yes that is true, but the processing is also a spec that I think is no longer needed when you use Audyssey, YPAO, Dirac, etc..

Reactions: asere

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
THX processing changes how the sound is distributed to the speakers by giving a more immersive environment making it sound more like a large theater, Audyssey does not do this. In 5.1 mixes it also up-mixes it to 7.1 if you have the extra two speakers and does a much nicer job than Dolby PLIIx

Reactions: primetimeguy

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THX processing changes how the sound is distributed to the speakers by giving a more immersive environment making it sound more like a large theater, Audyssey does not do this. In 5.1 mixes it also up-mixes it to 7.1 if you have the extra two speakers and does a much nicer job than Dolby PLIIx
I've always been on the fence in using THX Cinema because it seems the sound disappears if it makes any sense. Like it is less bright. I'm sure that's the intent though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, it does roll off the highs slightly but that is the intent as it makes the soundtrack seem less concentrated to one speaker thus filling the room better. THX recommends only using it in larger rooms (over 3000cuft) I think.
I think its also dependent on the speakers your using as they must meet THX standards.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it does roll off the highs slightly but that is the intent as it makes the soundtrack seem less concentrated to one speaker thus filling the room better. THX recommends only using it in larger rooms (over 3000cuft) I think.
I think its also dependent on the speakers your using as they must meet THX standards.
If I use Cinema and not Ultra because my set up is 5.2 is Cinema compatible with a 5100cf room or for a room the size of mine do I need Ultra?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
462 Posts
I myself have an old THX AVR and I can tell you that I did use the THX button with my THX DVD's from time to time. But the more I know about Audio the less I use it.
THX Certified AV receivers and pre-amplifiers feature a number of proprietary technologies, all designed to accurately present movie, music and game soundtracks in the home.

Many movie soundtracks are mixed in studios for playback in large cinema auditoriums with an array of speakers. When played on home systems, they may appear abrasive and edgy. Re-EQ establishes a more accurate tonal balance when enjoying movies in your home
My AVR does this and the logic of the above sounds spot on but today's sound tracks are re-mastered for home use. We no longer get the straight to home (Cinema mix). This feature is useless now.

Timbre Matching
Your ears hear different tonal qualities in sounds coming from different directions. Timbre Matching restores the frequency balance between your front and surround speakers—ensuring seamless and smooth panning between the front to back of the room.
My AVR does not have this but I do not get the logic of this. A plane or any object flying around you in real life produces the same sound and your ears/brain hear a different sound because things like your head and the shape of your ears change the sound. I would want an AVR to make the same sound all the way around you so it sounds like real life. I think it would sound artifital if the sound of an object sounded the same coming from in front as it did from behind.

Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC)
Sitting near a wall may result in distorted bass response. BGC corrects the way low frequency sound is perceived when seated near a wall. This results in a more true and accurate bass response.
My AVR does not have this but I think this is useless. THX has no idea what your room setup is, how would they know what to do with the curve. :rant:

Adaptive Decorrelation
Adaptive Decorrelation changes one surround channel’s time and phase relationship with respect to the other surround channel, expanding the listening position and creating the same spacious audio experience at home as in a movie theater.
Somewhat useless. I have seen/heard about this "trick" back in the day. Switch the (-) and (+) on one of your side speakers and your get a wider sound but it just creates other problems. This was used for 5.1 systems.

All in all I think THX is very old school and should not be taking into account for anything but a nice sticker.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I still much prefer the THX Cinema mode (with Re-Eq off) for movies. It gives you the large theater venue feeling compared to the basic mix.
My Yamaha AVP has the same effects IMO with their different DSPs.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have noticed with Deadpool for example being a modern movie THX on or off sounds the same.
THX must be a thing of the past for older movies as others have mentioned. A nice badge though :)

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I have noticed with Deadpool for example being a modern movie THX on or off sounds the same.
THX must be a thing of the past for older movies as others have mentioned. A nice badge though :)

It doesn't hurt to have it, as it does make the manufacturer meet requirements to get the Logo.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Or your hearing is just going if you can't hear the high frequency roll-off. :)

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I do not claim to be a THX expert. From what I know of it and have heard of it, it seems to be beneficial mainly to those whose audio systems and rooms are not finely tuned. With a well-treated room and well-tuned system, it would be detrimental to frequency response and to soundstage and imaging. That said, personal preference always rules. If you like it, use it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts