Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Maybe it was in another post, but how does the screen height work? Do you think it's too low?

JCD

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
It looks ok now but worried more about after we get the seating if the back row can see the full screen over the front row. I did however read of many other people with the screen at the same height so that lessened my worries. I figured I'll staggered the seating and if its still to bad that I might have to trade for a smaller screen but I'll leave it as is and wait and see I guess.

What you mentioned in the other thread with the rear speakers being right next to each other is the first I've heard that. I'm gonna have to look that up and see about moving them now if I have too.

Other then that, the guys are supposed to do the duct work this weekend, not sure about the electrician yet.

Also seeing things like my new hd-dvd player needing to be hooked up to the internet this week in order to be updated has me wondering if I should run a ethernet wire from my upstairs office to my equipment rack now before sheet rocking.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Tommy said:
It looks ok now but worried more about after we get the seating if the back row can see the full screen over the front row. I did however read of many other people with the screen at the same height so that lessened my worries. I figured I'll staggered the seating and if its still to bad that I might have to trade for a smaller screen but I'll leave it as is and wait and see I guess.
I'm sure it'll be alright, but I can totally understand your apprehension.

Tommy said:
What you mentioned in the other thread with the rear speakers being right next to each other is the first I've heard that. I'm gonna have to look that up and see about moving them now if I have too.
That was a first for me too. I would have thought having them spaced out would be better as well. Did you look in the owner's manual for the receiver? I'd probably follow the advice it gives.

Tommy said:
Other then that, the guys are supposed to do the duct work this weekend, not sure about the electrician yet.
Well, at least you got the duct guys coming in..

Tommy said:
Also seeing things like my new hd-dvd player needing to be hooked up to the internet this week in order to be updated has me wondering if I should run a ethernet wire from my upstairs office to my equipment rack now before sheet rocking.
I think I'd have ethernet run in to ANY new room I was building. Too much "stuff" wants to be connected to the internet these days already.

JCD

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You know... I thought that was kind of strange to mount those two rears side by side like that. Seems like to me it would be no different than 6.1... obviously there could be no separation between left and right.

I wonder how that's gonna work anyway with the sides of the DVD cabinet being there to more or less separate the two speakers.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Progress Update:

Well at least some progress was made this weekend. I had to take all the equipment out of the HT room so it wouldnt get filled with dust while further work was being done.

Saturday the electrician came around 2:30 pm to start. I would of course prefered if he came earlier but when friends are doing the work you have to go by there time schedule I guess.

So we started a bit late and worked till almost 11 Saturday night. Most of the HT room was already wired but we had to do the rest of the basement before the sheet rock starts. We seperated the current lighting system which was a one switch at the top of the steps operates the whole basement.

The stairway is now on a seperate switch from everything else. We removed the ceiling light from the HT room. Added a light to the closet under the stairs which will be for the back of the equipment rack, Added 12 recessed lights to the main room in the basement and seperated the lights in the utility room.

Finance wise we spent another $150 on material in addition to about $1,000 I previously spent on the eletric materials. I also gave the guy $500 at the end of the night for all the help. So I guess all said and done the electric cost for the whole basement is gonna be somewhere around 2k.

The duct work guys cancelled on Saturday but came first thing in the morning on Sunday. They worked from about 9 am to almost 8 pm. Unfortunatly I guess its only about half done.

When I started this I never gave much thought to the duct work being a major project of finishing the basement. I figured at most they would just have to cut grills into the sides of the trunk lines and that would be that.

But these guys are busting there buts to make sure everything is right and runing everything they can, branches and drops and all that. A couple spot in the basement the existing branches would dip under the ceiling to come up in another spot. They removed these spots and re-routed it so I wouldnt have as many boxed out areas on the ceiling.

Surprising how much sheet metal costs. I spent $400 on material this weekend and probably got to spend as much again before its done. I wrote a check for 1k for the material and payment. They are supposed to come back next Saturday to finish.

So this weekend cost me $1,650. I'm gonna have to go over my finances later but Im really starting to get close to my buget limit now but I think I got all the main things covered and still have the sheet rock money put away. I know I'm gonna cry when I figure this all out and see how much I spent on this so far.

Worst is that I was trying to get this work done by this week so the sheet work guy could do his thing before he starts his vacation in mid July. So this pushes things back by a few weeks atleast.

Next weekend the duct work guys will hopefully finish. The week after I have reserves again. The week after that the sheet rock guy is on vacation. I dont know how long he'll be gone or when he is free after that.

So where I was planning on getting the sheet rock done next week, may be pushed back a month. But at least the project is moving forward and something got done over the weekend. Of course now I'm tired and falling a sleep at work already.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Sonnie said:
You know... I thought that was kind of strange to mount those two rears side by side like that. Seems like to me it would be no different than 6.1... obviously there could be no separation between left and right.

I wonder how that's gonna work anyway with the sides of the DVD cabinet being there to more or less separate the two speakers.
I dont think thats to much a problem. From what someone else posted by THX rules they could be 2-3 foot apart. But I do think I am going to leave them the way Dolby sugested which is pretty much were they are now.

I could move the Left back speaker over one stud bay to be perfect but if I am leaving myself the room to hang something on the wall there equal in size to the dvd cabinet.

By the way I made the cabinet 40 x 27 or whatever it is which is equal in size to a movie poster. This way when I hang the posters it will all be the same size as the posters and spaced equally through out the room.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Tommy said:
By the way I made the cabinet 40 x 27 or whatever it is which is equal in size to a movie poster. This way when I hang the posters it will all be the same size as the posters and spaced equally through out the room.
Did you figure this out by yourself... that's pretty ingenious. :R

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Progress Update:

It took another 10 hours of work but the duct work was completed on Saturday. When starting this project I didnt think that the duct work would be that big of a deal. The two friends helping me are part of the sheet metal union so of course they didnt want to do anything the easy way with the flex duct... anyway its finally finished and I can move on to the next step.

I just have to finish insulating now and some last minute small things to do and it will be ready to sheet rock. Unfortunatly though I have reserves next weekend and I believe the sheet rock guy starts his vacation the week after so it looks like I'm put off for at least the next 2-3 weeks.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Tommy said:
I was more trying to explain that there will be a poster equal in size besides the cabinet and that is why the left back speaker is more to the side....
Surrrre. :laugh:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Progress Update:

Ok I had to remove all the equipment out of the room in order to continue working in there so no more movies for a couple of week I guess.

I finished insulating the ceiling and some last minute things that need to be done in the room.

The sheet rock was delivered yesterday and they should start rocking tonight. Will probably be 2-3 weeks till its done since they will only be working a few hours each night.

I still gotta get in there to fix the wiring where the rope light will be. Hope I can get in there without getting in the rockers way.

N

·
0 Posts
Infinite Baffle Subwoofer.

Here, check this out. Essentially turning an adjacent space into a HUGE subwoofer!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
How does this differ from just an In-Wall subwoofer?

I originally ordered an In-Wall sub but these guys here talked me into returning it before I even got it out of the box and also convinced me to order the SVS sub.

Just to note, I'm thrilled with the new sub so far and to this point I havent even tried to adjust any of the settings. Waiting for the sheetrock to get done before I worry about all that.

Anyway what I was getting at though is I thought it was explained to me that the sub being in the wall was not optimal and this is why I needed to send the In-wall back.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Ok the sheet rockers started last night but didnt stay long. The guy is an union carpetner so hes picking to pieces all of my framing at the moment. He kept pointing out one wall he did sheet rock and saying do I see the waves and I kept saying no it looks fine...

Long story short its gonna cost me extra for him to straighten out my framing where he doesnt think its perfect... :sad:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Tommy said:
How does this differ from just an In-Wall subwoofer?

I originally ordered an In-Wall sub but these guys here talked me into returning it before I even got it out of the box and also convinced me to order the SVS sub.

Just to note, I'm thrilled with the new sub so far and to this point I havent even tried to adjust any of the settings. Waiting for the sheetrock to get done before I worry about all that.

Anyway what I was getting at though is I thought it was explained to me that the sub being in the wall was not optimal and this is why I needed to send the In-wall back.
For the most part, I was concerned with the driver being used by your in-wall unit. As I recall, they were dual 8" drivers. It's just too small to go low.

I think we did discuss a possible IB setup in your room, but there weren't any good places to set up for the rear wave of the drivers. No attic space, and there wasn't enough room on any of the sides of the room except the one that opened up to your workout(?) room.

JCD

N

·
0 Posts
Tommy said:
Ok the sheet rockers started last night but didnt stay long. The guy is an union carpetner so hes picking to pieces all of my framing at the moment. He kept pointing out one wall he did sheet rock and saying do I see the waves and I kept saying no it looks fine...

Long story short its gonna cost me extra for him to straighten out my framing where he doesnt think its perfect... :sad:

Tell him you meant to do that on purpose for sound diffusion reasons! :joke:

181 - 200 of 333 Posts