Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good suggestion peter, this is a good place to do it!

The Top 15 Best Looking Blu-ray films turned out to be a hit, it's had over 1,100 views and decent reach and redirects from Facebook. This is what we're looking for! So I'm running with this again and would like to pull together a Top 10 best Deep Bass Blu-ray films. We all have systems that allow us to be experts on this, so why not let it roll! The trick to this is going to be not only picking the films but also capturing two or three lines about the bass experience of the movie - a mention of a scene or two. If you guys are game...would you mind working with me on a list? There's 4 of us...that means two from each, and then we'll need two extra. Maybe we can get our picks into a list, have a little back and forth on ranking...and then I could get a little input on films you each suggest (something that I could edit into the list). My two favorite are: Transformers Dark of the Moon and 9. Dredd and Hanna also come to mind. Thoughts?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
With reference to some of the PM replies - I think there are enough good movies with substantial deep bass that we don't need to recommend any with lousy plots or acting just for the sake of having deep bass. And from what I've read, people looking for deep bass, ULF, infrasonic, etc. are usually talking about sub-20Hz content. There are ways to measure it, but I'm not well informed in that area. I usually assume any bass I can feel but not hear is down in that range. Either way, some good suggestions on the list so far.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of making this about deep bass, but your point about lack of measurements is a good one. Perhaps this could be more a "scratch the surface of technicalities" type of list, meaning movies that we know will push subs to their limits.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I like the idea of making this about deep bass, but your point about lack of measurements is a good one. Perhaps this could be more a "scratch the surface of technicalities" type of list, meaning movies that we know will push subs to their limits.
Agreed. Perhaps we could call it "Top 10 Movies with Bass You Can Feel" or something.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I'll come up with something crafty... the basic idea is bass that will crack your foundation, raise the little hairs on your arms, and make the neighbors wonder "was that thunder? or an earthquake?" ;-)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Hot Fuzz and Live Free or Die hard has some INCREDIBLY low frequency responses. same with Dark Knight Rises. that scene were the bat plane comes out of the alley has an 11 hz oscillating sweep going on...plain nuts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Battle: Los Angeles is another one to consider.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
I'll add a few comments to my selections as requested...

Dark Knight Rises
Between the soundtrack and the action effects this one will send monstrous bass pulsating through your body from start to finish. It is well balanced though, and adds just the right amount of impact. The scene in the alley where The Bat emerges from the darkness is one of my favorite sub demo scenes.

Tron: Legacy
Daft Punk + Sci-fi = 'nuff said? Ships float about "The Grid" with a rumble so deep you can feel it in your seat. Battle sequences are accompanied by equally powerful bass, requiring your sub to reach to it's most extreme depths. Add the pounding Daft Punk soundtrack and it's almost too much at times. Almost.

Oblivion
Oblivion is another stellar example of harmony between music and effects. When Tech 49 launches his spacecraft the thrusters send subsonic vibrations rippling through the room. There is no shortage of fight scenes with all manner of gunfire and explosives to heat things up a bit in between the more quiet scenes. The M83 soundtrack is icing on the cake, and even on its own is quite a pleasure with a good sub system.

Incredible Hulk
This movie's bass is just as incredible as its hero. Anytime the Hulk is green, you can be expecting some of the deepest bass to be found on a movie soundtrack. The first scene that comes to mind is the ambush on the college campus, when Hulk lands on the ground after breaking out of the walkway suspended between two buildings. Of course, nothing beats the final fight sequence between the Hulk and his massive opponent. If your room isn't shaking, your sub isn't cutting it.

Open Range
Although this one doesn't have the same quantity of loud deep bass as some of the others on the list, it gives us a few moments of shockingly low impact and rumble. Just a few minutes into the movie, the group is caught in a storm with some of the most realistic sounding thunder I've heard on a recording. The final shootout is a favorite for it's dynamics and realism, and does a great job of capturing the concussive energy of each gunshot.

On a related note... I had some other ideas for "Top 10" type lists.

Scenes with best surround sound - everyone seems to like to focus on the bass, but a scene with well engineered surround sound is one of the coolest things to experience. So many action movies just really fail at this IMO.

Scenes with best impact/dynamics - Do things like gunshots, car crashes, windows breaking, buildings falling, etc have real-life dynamics? This is another thing I feel gets neglected in so many action films. There will be this ridiculous throbbing bass thump associated with everything, but the other effects just sound wimpy and out of balance.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to have left this thread hanging, been a little crazy and my mind wandered!

Peter, thank for the input. Mike, J-man... anything you'd like to add on a movie or two? I'll put three into the list. Maybe we can work on ranking these bad boys.

Peter, great idea on a surround list. I like it (probably more than big bass movies).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts