Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the top 3, 18" subwoofer drivers closest to the LMS-5400. This is for a large enclosure with one or two 18" passive radiators. The sub will only be playing 50hz and lower. If I can get my main speakers tuned down to 40hz, I would only be playing the sub below 40hz. That's the goal. I'm also looking for 18" passive radiators for this project. This won't take place till late in the year but I'm just trying to take my time and do my home work. Thanks.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Obviousely the Fi IB18.... cuz I just ordered mine yesterday to get me through till the 22" comes out....

JK... I'd say if price wasn't an issue, RE 06' XXX. Can't hate on the Maelstrom-X either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Proabably your best bet is with the maelstrom-x and 2 matching PR's. Acoustic Elegence and Creative Sound also make great passive radiators. As for top 3 18's, my guess would be Maelstrom, RLP-18, and Acoupower18.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Acoupower is MIA as is TC sounds and also Aurasound. No PR's on the market have the displacement to handle a 06 XXX unless you use 4. That leaves the Mal-X and the RLP 18 and if you really want to spend a bit, the JBL 2269H, which is only available as a replacement part.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What's changed in four years? LMS-5400 still considered the king?
Yeah, pretty much.

The RE XXX 18" is a beast as well but more of a low end monster requiring a ton of power.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Car audio has quite a few woofers that work well in HT. Just a matter of picking one for your application. I think The UXL is the closest thing to the Ultra. BUT after that there are about 5 subs I know of that do extremely well also. And all being said the XXX still has the most displacement.
So maybe in terms of displacement:
1. RE XXX 54mm Xmax
2. EMF 18" 50mm Xmax
3.Sundown ZV4/UXL/Ultra
Now #3is debatable but the new monster 18" they have from Sundown has some amazing stroke with Mechanical Xmax of around 45. Same as the UXL. I believe the XXX is only useful to about 45mm and supposedly the EMF is useful to 50mm. But no one has fully tested the EMF so I will have to stick with second place.

BUT also for lowest distortion this ranking changes from Ultra to UXL to all of the rest.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I wonder if anyone has compared the LMS Ultra to the Mach 5 UXL 18" in the same system?

I have no doubt the UXL is a great sub but what sets the LMS apart is the coil which results in one of the best sound quality subs on the market.

I have owned the LMS Ultra's and was close a few times to ordering some UXL's. I have my doubts though that it is in the same league as the LMS Ultra as far as low distortion and sound quality. The LMS Ulta is the best SQ sub I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of subs. The XXX 18 is a great sub as well that I have owned and gets deeper easier than the LMS but loses out in upper bass.

I have a friend who has quad LMS Ultra's and even though I have loaded up my theater with a bunch of subs to reduce distortion the SQ is just not the same. That is why I ask if anyone has compared the LMS Ultra to the UXL, measurements are helpful but actually listening can tell a different story.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Asking this question is like asking a bunch of gearheads what the best 3 cars in the world are...

The best sub for you depends on your budget, space available, power available, spousal support, etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts