Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone investigated the effect of mixing silver pigment or "silver-paint" with a clear translucent matt top coat and painted it on top of a paint? I guess what I am asking is whats the difference of mixing the paints as in C&S and adding the silver via a top coating?

Anyone tryed?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I've messed around a bit with aluminum and a clear. While I didn't delve to deeply, it was mostly a failure in my opinion. From what I was doing, it would be more beneficial as a base coat. I'll dig around and see if I can find a picture somewhere.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i had contemplated painting a white basecoat and then painting a topcoat consisting of AAA fine and an orange pigment (for color correction) mixed in a clear medium.

i just never got round to it :hide:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Have anyone investigated the effect of mixing silver pigment or "silver-paint" with a clear translucent matt top coat and painted it on top of a paint? I guess what I am asking is whats the difference of mixing the paints as in C&S and adding the silver via a top coating?

Anyone tryed?
Silver paint is too shiny to use as a screen paint unless diluted. The more translucent the mix is, the more the aluminum would manifest itself. It is a fine balancing act.

There is a screen mix supported on another forum that is simply a clear finish that contains 5% silver paint in it. This is sprayed over a semi-gloss white surface in many thin coats. Mech has tested this mix and while it has high gain, it also hotspots badly.

Another problem with mixes like this is that they are hard to put on in an even manner and one usually ends up with streaks or spots of differing reflectance due to uneven distribution of the silver on the screen.

Mix translucency is an area of experimentation that could yield great returns, but there are only so many hours in the day for testing.:bigsmile:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
This is the stuff I was experimenting with.
Very dangerous and not recommended!

Here's how it looked after spraying. Not the greatest of pics but it's all I have.

Looking at it though does make me think it warrants another look. That was sprayed using a PreVal sprayer which wasn't exactly the best tool for that job. Makes me wonder how it would turn out with a hvlp gun. One thing I do know, you're not gonna want it as a topcoat. It would be serious hot spotting.

But who knows. :dunno: It might work with proper ratios and maybe even another clear matte topcoat. It's definitely within the realm of difficult mixes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, indeed. WE do have the famous S-I-L-V-E-R which utilizes a 5% silver pigment top coat. Is that the same color mix that you Mech, denote SILVER in your GAIN tests?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Robert,

Yep. That's silver. It doesn't utilize any silver though. Just mica and faux glaze. I think that while the mix does ok, it could be done a lot better with proper ingredients. Now that we're venturing down the artist aisle, it'll only be a matter of time before we find something much more suitable. :dontknow:

mech

1 - 10 of 10 Posts