Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Surely this thread is due a revival? What would people want to see added to the list?
Unfortunately many threads here need some revival as there are not many active members here these days and I love HTS.
Anyhow Hacksaw Ridge I hear has great bass and a great movie. I'll be watching it this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Unfortunately many threads here need some revival as there are not many active members here these days and I love HTS.
Anyhow Hacksaw Ridge I hear has great bass and a great movie. I'll be watching it this weekend.

Spectrograph looks like some single digit stuff. I can only be meaningful down to about 17 but still. Glad there's no stupid filter on it. Can't wait to check it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some of the best and most powerful bass moments, ...the gunship blasts.

Definitely need to add Interstellar to this list.
I revisited it few nights ago. That one too has some serious oomph moments.

Arrival has great bass moments too.
It's not like from the other two flicks mentioned above, but in some scenes it seems to go low and it vibrates.
_____

* I don't have twenty subwoofers with dual 18" drivers in each coffin box, for a total of 40 drivers, and a total of 12,960 cubic inches displacement;
enough to scalp a skull in two split equal parts and in just a fraction of one quick/sharp heartbeat.
Neither I have 60,000 RMS watts to drive them. ...Net, not gross.
My room is much smaller than an IMAX 3D cinema theater.

But just because three movies, great movies, powerful movies, in many aspects, including "deep/intense bass".

·
Registered
106 Posts

Right, it's down to us to revive the whole forum then! :smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anybody know if the War of the Worlds blu ray has better sound than the dvd?? I only have the latter and wondered if the blu ray was worth a buy?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does anybody know if the War of the Worlds blu ray has better sound than the dvd?? I only have the latter and wondered if the blu ray was worth a buy?
The 2-Disc Limited Edition on DVD is a nice package with a dts audio soundtrack (5.1)
The Blu-ray single disc version has dts-HD MA 5.1 (lossless, no compression)

The difference in quality sound tends towards the later in its favor (WoW), from my best recollection. But the former is no small peanuts.
I'd say crank the BR disc volume up (THX reference master level) and nothing is going to be missed, nothing compressed here. You don't need the DVD.
IMO and best recollected memory/experience.

* The movie titles that are "better" for audio (for some) on DVD, are like for example:
- 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World' | Collector's Edition (dts 5.1) → http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/m/masterandcommander_fs.shtml
- 'U-571' (dts 5.1) → http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews2/u571.html
_______

* Bonus:

'Interstellar' is very special audio and video wise:
- Video: Because of various screen aspect ratios (70mm, IMAX, TV 4:3); three of them → Aspect ratio: 2.39:1, 1.78:1, 1.43:1
- Audio: To hear the dialog correctly you need to turn it up to THX reference master level on your volume dial (zero dB, or eleven; whatever relative or absolute method you use).

Then, that scene from that youtube video above; you better strap yourself and chain your couch and chairs to the cement floor because if you don't, not only you're going to lift up in your home theater room, but also your couch and chairs and even perhaps your room too. ...Your entire house! No, I'm not kidding; you don't need one billion dollars of subwoofers and amplifiers for that...just the right amount @ the right level.

So when Todd mentioned 'Interstellar' ...he was right on for a BR movie that packs some serious "distressing" deep impacting tight fast low fat punchy bass of high power decibels and wind turbines. Way of speech but you get my draft. It's one of the very best and it's only in 5.1 - and with low recorded dialog from the center channel, so crank it up because that's exactly what Christopher Nolan wants you to do; @ both your local IMAX theater, and @ home.

To me, 'Interstellar' (and I just don't care about the graphs and all that scientific jazz ...) is a serious film with serious punch in the guts and all over your room's skeleton. My own rating: 10/10 (bass impact). ...Tra-la-la
_______

Another movie that has the type of bass to make your skin crawl under your floor is 'Pulse' (2006) - [dts-HD Master Audio 5.1]

There is a scene ↑ in the main central computer/server room with some serious "pulses". You will feel them when it comes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
By the way, there is a glitch in the software of this site; with the "Multiquote" feature...it does not automatically deactivate itself after using it.
Like it would repeat again next time, and each time you post again here in his thread. Do you know what I mean?
After using it you have to "manually" return to the posts that you multi-quoted and deactivate them. It's an annoyance that shouldn't be.
Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Just saw Hacksaw Ridge. It's a fabulous movie and great bass. Mel Gibson is awesome behind the camera.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 2-Disc Limited Edition on DVD is a nice package with a dts audio soundtrack (5.1)
The Blu-ray single disc version has dts-HD MA 5.1 (lossless, no compression)

The difference in quality sound tends towards the later in its favor (WoW), from my best recollection. But the former is no small peanuts.
I'd say crank the BR disc volume up (THX reference master level) and nothing is going to be missed, nothing compressed here. You don't need the DVD.
IMO and best recollected memory/experience.

* The movie titles that are "better" for audio (for some) on DVD, are like for example:
- 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World' | Collector's Edition (dts 5.1) → http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/m/masterandcommander_fs.shtml
- 'U-571' (dts 5.1) → http://www.thedigitalbits.com/site_archive/reviews2/u571.html
_______
Ordered yesterday and received today, the blu ray of War of the Worlds. Not had a proper listen yet, but just skipped to the main bass bits near the start of the film. My word, that's some bass. It's a lot cleaner and more 'textured' than the dvd audio. Very powerful stuff. It made me jump at one point, and I knew it was coming!!! I have also received Interstellar and Battle Los Angeles. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
'Interstellar' has few adrenaline rushes, and right from the beginning in that dream sequence scene. It's one of the best. The rushes last too.
It's a flick that is well done, plus it radically "move" the viewers visually and auditory.

'War of the Worlds' with Tom Cruise is a Must on Blu for the bass addicts. And it's a great sci-fi flick too.

'Hacksaw Ridge' another dynamite experience on all sensory emotions.

'Pulse' is not a good film; kids stuff in search of cheap ghost thrills, but for bass addicts it has some pretty good oomph in its pulses from that server room.
Anyway the Blu is less than ten bucks, for a sub workout before going in town on a Sunday evening @ the Chinese restaurant.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I have War of the Worlds on dvd that has DTS. Will the audio be that much better on the bluray?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd say yes asere. Did you not read an earlier post? The BR is uncompressed (dts Master Audio), the DVD has compressed audio (dts @ 754kBps).

The Blu-ray is the way to go; it sure rocks. None is missing and all is in.
* Some people cannot tell differences between compressed and uncompressed audio. I am not one of them; I'm not from that group. Get the Blu, with total confidence, update/upgrade your DVD, visually and auditory, with the Blu-ray. And it costs you less than ten bucks to improve the experience tenfold.
...Roughly. :) If you are a movie bass addict, this a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I have War of the Worlds on dvd that has DTS. Will the audio be that much better on the bluray?

I agree with northsky. Dts-hdma is always better. I've experienced one case where for some reason they put a 30hz filter on the lfe track. This was Master and Commander.(quick trip to Google will find a few results) The DVD is unclipped, if you will and offers the cannon shots in full glory as low as your subs can go(and lower). The rest of the track is still razor sharp as well so I don't feel bad about giving away my BD version. As usual, data-bass.com has the content threads to see which tracks really deliver.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts