Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
can someone post as to what the current top of the line subs are? there are a few options out there at a few different price points

TC Sounds 5400 LMS Ultra

SI 18 inch and 24 inch

IST
UXL-18 and FTW-21

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax (anything else from Dayton?)

Am I missing something? Whats the current breakdown on best sub at decent, not unreasonable price? Will be powering them with clone fp14000s.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Depends on what your building. TC sounds Ultra is one of THE best 18" subwoofers. UXL is second to that and then its a huge toss up between a few special order car audio 18's and lower excursion 18's.

BUT it really depends what your wants are.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If by top of the line you don't just mean actual driver but subwoofer with enclosure itself you may look into the Tuba HT also. It is pretty efficient and have a crazy output. It can dig pretty low with room gain (but not as low as a good llt) and really doesn't distortion much at all. It's down side is that it's pretty big and ugly (to me) at least it will not look as good as a nice veenered enclosure with a big 18 inch black subwoofer pointing at you if you know what I mean. It certainly got me interested tought and I may build one one day.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If by top of the line you don't just mean actual driver but subwoofer with enclosure itself you may look into the Tuba HT also. It is pretty efficient and have a crazy output. It can dig pretty low with room gain (but not as low as a good llt) and really doesn't distortion much at all. It's down side is that it's pretty big and ugly (to me) at least it will not look as good as a nice veenered enclosure with a big 18 inch black subwoofer pointing at you if you know what I mean. It certainly got me interested tought and I may build one one day.
Or you can view this. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1609714-sibuna-s-sealed-si24-build-8.html#post26878105. One HS 24 out-performs two LMS-U 18's by +3dB with the same amount of total power. I think the HS 24 discussion starts here in the GTG thread.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They say there is no replacement for displacement. I wonder how much money a beast like that cost and what size enclosure it has to have to get usable output for home theater.

I really want to see or hear a Tuba HT but my heart tell me that 4 18 inch driver would look nicer! I think I am a bass junkie. At least living in an appartement currently stop me from becoming one.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Well I am sorry but a single 24" in 15cuft would probably out run four THT's. I dont have any outdoor measurements of either but I would guess the 24 would have more SPL and definitely would extend a lot lower and have a lot more SPL.

BUT this thread is an open ended question which doesnt really go anywhere. There are many examples that work for everyones example. Just a matter of what your variables are.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I posted a thread stating that it is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes the HST 18 is available now. However, it would still take at/over 3 of the HST 18's to equal the output of a single HS 24. The HS 24 is also a very solid winner in the LFE department regarding sealed alignments between the two drivers.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
We just need to have a 24" driver that likes 6-7cuft sealed. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
We just need to have a 24" driver that likes 6-7cuft sealed. :D
An HS 24 looks silly in a box that small. If you only have 6 ft^3 to work with you shouldn't be looking at a 24" subwoofer - an 18" woofer is a much better option for an enclosure of that size. The law of cubes is in your favor with an enclosure that has a front face of over 26" squared - it only takes a few inches one direction to add significantly more volume. :T

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm just finishing up an SI-18 build using 24" SonoTube. I was looking at the mouth of the tube last night and found it difficult to imagine a driver exactly that large (even if it's the OD of the basket). :yikes:

I see that Sonoco makes 26 and 28" tubes. I think that would be the way to go for an easy SI-24 build (ported or not).

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
An HS 24 looks silly in a box that small. If you only have 6 ft^3 to work with you shouldn't be looking at a 24" subwoofer - an 18" woofer is a much better option for an enclosure of that size. The law of cubes is in your favor with an enclosure that has a front face of over 26" squared - it only takes a few inches one direction to add significantly more volume. :T
I have about 8cuft to work with myself and the 24 is alright in about 15-17cuft. SO I dont want to be on the oddball end of which it takes a LOT more power than RMS to hit Xmax. BUT I do like making maximum SPL in a given location. So the 24" si a great driver for that if it can work for you location limits. I am also trying to talk myself into having one of the 24's anyways. :D

Morca I dont have any of these brands in Australia either. I just order from overseas and pay the hefty shipping fees.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts