Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thankyou for all of your support. I was wondering where I could find a schematic online for my TV which would explain to me which resistors I should be changing in addition to the STK394-116 IC's. I just replaced the IC's and I cannot adjust the convergence on any of the colors now. All the solder joints look good, so I am confused as to why this did not work. Before I just had problems with the blue adjustment in one direction, and now everything is very distorted and screwed up. All resistors look good with no discoloration.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you have power (both + & - supplies) to the ICs? Have you tested the resistors with a meter with the chips out of circuit and the yokes disconnected?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did not check the power supplies because I only had the blue tube not being adjustable. Now I have nothing working... Did I make a mistake?? Maybe the IC's were electrostatic sensitive and I fried them?? I was going to unsolder the IC's and check all of the resistors first. I hope I did not wreck the IC's. I did not leave the TV on very long and hope everything is ok. The resistors in the kit are much smaller than the original ones, and they are not the same resistance so I am at a loss here... It was a "universal kit", so maybe I do not have the right resistors. I can get them from where I work if needed. The resistors I told you about are all the same.. They are brown white gold gold. Maybe the white is gray.. not sure. Have any ideas??

Thanks,
Ken

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is no such thing as a universal kit. The resistors are different in each model. These chips are not particularly sensitive to static electricity. Much more likely that you have missed a resistor, bridged a joint, or missed some cracked solder connections.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so the kit I bought is not an oem for my set. I think maybe my ebay purchase was not the right thing... It has resistors .50 ohm to .78 ohm. Should I just get resistors from my work?

Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be some bad parts. Quality servicers learned not to go for the cheapest parts. There are lots of counterfeits and seconds out there. No way to know for sure whether you missed something, botched it, got bad parts, or any combination of these without careful checking and troubleshooting.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This guy tells me the IC's wont work on my tv. You know he is wrong. I made a mistake...

Hi Ken,

Please listen and you will understand.

We sell thousands of STK IC's. We know the product better than most.
Understanding this, you have purchased the incorrect parts. As stated in the auction it is mentioned that these are only for Hitachi and they will not work in any other models.
We did nothing wrong and don't deserve any negative feedback due to your error. Yes we do stand by our product, but if you install incorrect parts, we cannot and will not be responsible. There is also a small chance that the installation of these wrong parts caused further damage to other external parts. This cannot be ruled out.

You are wrong when you state that STK394-160's are used in ton's of brands of TV's. These are only to replace STK392-110's, STK392-120's and STK392-150's in Hitachi only, nowhere else.

If you are going to give negative publicity, I cannot stop you. We do have a 100% perfect score, and if you purchased the incorrect product due to you own error and are willing to give us your "proper rating," then consider this dialogue officially ended. If you recognize that you have ordered the incorrect parts and would like me to work with you on getting 2 pcs of Sanyo original STK392-110's, then I would like to work with you
by offering you a discounted price on factory originals. I have STK392-110's on the shelf. Also, there are not upgraded parts for STK392-110's in Toshiba televisions. Just use the highest quality parts as we sell and you will be ok.

Please let me know your intentions either way. You can call me and leave a message and I will return your call, 908-595-9760 Ext 110. Thank you.

Michael Bisk
President WTU

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
No manufacturer ever used the STK394-160 in any set. They are a repalcement part for the Hitachi sets as he says. We, and other servicers DO use them in other sets because they have been found to be a superior replacement. I to you our only relate to you our experience and that of other servicers. We use them in Toshibas routinely and have good results.

As for the quality and source of his parts, I cannot comment. I can tell you that the market for Sanyo STKs has been filled for years with counterfeits and second quality parts. I have no experience with this supplier and have repeatedly suggested that you use only those suppliers that hundreds of servicers agree are reliable sources. I fail to understand the need to save a few dollars and take a chance on a supplier that is little more than an ebay storefront, when you are already potentially saving hundreds on the service of your set. With repairs that are inherently potentially difficult for DIYers, it is important to be sure that you are not introducing potential variables that cannot be controlled.

Like I said, you could have bad parts and you could have missed or botched something. It happens all the time with both DIYers and experienced techs. There is no way to know without some troubleshooting and known good parts. Ebay is simply a gamble for these parts. You gambled, now you need to sort it out. Remove the chips, check the resistors, resolder any joint that has a ring crack on the entire board, verify the supplies to the chips, verify the input to the chips does not have excessive dc offset, and maybe you can figure it out.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy insists that the 394-116 IC's will not work and is sending the 392-110's. I was just going to tell him to forget it, but he has already sent. He said he will worry about the price later.... Great.... I just want to order from one of the places you suggested, but now he's sending me the old style.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I do not know what a 394-116 is. The part that I use in place of the STK392-110 is the STK394-160. I have done dozens of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts