Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums & just today got REW up & running on my iMac. I'm using a UMIK-1 mic for measurements. Ok, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol!!! I tried reading thru the getting started portion of the REW manual but seem to be having difficulties understanding the "check levels" section. I have my iMac connected HDMI to my Outlaw Model 975 & was trying to verify that my levels were set to an acceptable level for measuring. I can not get anywhere near 75db to show up on the Input portion of the level meter. The output portion shows my defaulted setting of -12dbfs & I raised the volume on my 975 processor to a "decently" loud volume & about as high as I get on the Input side is about -48db. Obviously I'm not grasping something here or I have an incorrect setting that I'm hoping someone can help me sort out. I did not want to go any higher on my processor because with Soundflower on the iMac there is an occasional "static" sound when checking levels & the last thing that I want to do is fry one of my speakers. I hope you guys wouldn't mind helping me out a bit as I'm really interested in jumping into measuring my room.

Thanks so much guys!!!
Carmine.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You need:
- The mic cal file loaded in the mic/meter preferences
- The cal file needs to have the sensitivity line in it (first line of the file for cal files downloaded from miniDSP, if your UMIK came from Cross-Spectrum you will need to copy that first line from the miniDSP file into the Cross-Spectrum file)
- The UMIK needs to be selected as the input device and input in the soundcard preferences

Most of the above happens automatically or is prompted if REW sees you have a UMIK when it starts up, did that happen?

The miniDSP website has a detailed article on getting set up for measuring with the UMIK, you can find it here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts