Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK , As title says this is gonna be tough . No SPL meter yet , I will buy one in less then a week. Radio Shack Model: 33-2055
will this one work?, But before i do that i want to make sure i have everything, And that ill be able to run REW from my Comp....... With that said lets do this, I have Yammi rx-v661-----behringer ep1500------Cerwin Vega CLSC 15s SUB wich has LFE and L/R rca inputs into 400 watt plate amp. 1st Question..... My laptop has a single mic input , and single headphone output both are 3.5 mm will this work? ............2nd Question..... I have (2) 3.5 mm to L/R RCA cables , and can extend them as long as i need them, Will this be all the wiring i will need???...... 3rd Question ............... Heres where i am confused, from the 1st drawing in REW cabling and connection basics, It shows R channel into SPL meter and into comp, with the L going over to the L output(do you couple the Ls together?), With just R going out to AV ....Does the R then get split into L/R again with another set of RCA cables ????? I also think i saw a terminology Thread. I cant seem to find it can ya link it if its here please. Thanks for the help. I typed this at 10 am its now 830 pm long day !!!!!!!:explode: Sorry for the questions , But since im asking them i want to make sure im on same page, If im gonna try to do this. Thanks Guys And Gals EDIT*************JUST BOUGHT THIS
BEHRINGER Model DSP1124P ********* Im looking to build either a LLT or IB sub , I have the finacial means and skills to build , But I need your guys help to make this happen . Skilless when it comes to your knowledge. just looking for some tech help in a BIG WAY.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Some things I think you will want are:

External USB Soundcard

RCA Male to Male cable (you have this already an extra somewhere maybe?) This will be for measuring the soundcard to ensure it is working properly.

A Female to Female RCA Coupler to connect the RCA cable connections further is what I use. I also sometimes use a stereo headphone extension cable. I picked up my couplers at Sears but they have some at RS or an online store such as Parts Express also along with other types. As long as gets the job done. Just an option if you want to go into another room unless those cables you have are already long enough that you could already. I would recommend being able to do so from personal experience. It can get tiring listening to the sweeps after awhile. Might not be necessary but just an idea.

The Splitter is to input the right channel coming from REW into both the right and left channels. REW sends a mono signal out of the right and you can turn it into two channels with the splitter. You don't need this for just measuring the subwoofer but if you want to measure the mains and sub together to check for undesirable peeks and dips/good crossover, you will want one. It involves measuring as a stereo mode from the input into the Yamaha such as one that might be labeled CD. This utilizes your systems very important bass management. These connectors are at RS and online again.

You are almost there and seem to have most of the needed cables, just need the soundcard primarily. Maybe you have a splitter for the right and left input into the receiver or will get one with a soundcard. A soundcard with analog inputs and outputs would probably be best but whichever way you prefer.

You can see the guide Bruce made for more options & better detail

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...tion/10001-rew-cabling-connection-basics.html

The sticky at the top of this forum has links to allot of get started links that are very helpful. I think the terms link you asked about was this one.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/glossary/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Some things I think you will want are:

External USB Soundcard

RCA Male to Male cable (you have this already an extra somewhere maybe?) This will be for measuring the soundcard to ensure it is working properly.

A Female to Female RCA Coupler to connect the RCA cable connections further is what I use. I also sometimes use a stereo headphone extension cable. I picked up my couplers at Sears but they have some at RS or an online store such as Parts Express also along with other types. As long as gets the job done. Just an option if you want to go into another room unless those cables you have are already long enough that you could already. I would recommend being able to do so from personal experience. It can get tiring listening to the sweeps after awhile. Might not be necessary but just an idea.

The Splitter is to input the right channel coming from REW into both the right and left channels. REW sends a mono signal out of the right and you can turn it into two channels with the splitter. You don't need this for just measuring the subwoofer but if you want to measure the mains and sub together to check for undesirable peeks and dips/good crossover, you will want one. It involves measuring as a stereo mode from the input into the Yamaha such as one that might be labeled CD. This utilizes your systems very important bass management. These connectors are at RS and online again.

You are almost there and seem to have most of the needed cables, just need the soundcard primarily. Maybe you have a splitter for the right and left input into the receiver or will get one with a soundcard. A soundcard with analog inputs and outputs would probably be best but whichever way you prefer.

You can see the guide Bruce made for more options & better detail

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...tion/10001-rew-cabling-connection-basics.html

The sticky at the top of this forum has links to allot of get started links that are very helpful. I think the terms link you asked about was this one.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/glossary/
Ok first thanks for replying. Now from that drawing the 2 Lefts need to be connected? If so can i just couple them?(id use a 3.5mm cable to L/R on the end) for both input and output. Then on the output side R is coming out by itself then drawing shows it going into Av L/R. Im guessing that is going to need another splitter? And as for sound card mine wont work? And i know next to nothing about comp and its sound card. Ok just watched the turtlebeach video on its soundcard, looks nice But i really see no benefit from it . I never watch movies, or play music through my comp. Anyway around this? Not sure i want to throw 80 dollars out the window ??????

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Now from that drawing the 2 Lefts need to be connected?
Only if you wish to use the "Left Channel as Calibration reference" feature.

Easier, is to use a soundcard calibration file that you create using the right channel only (with a loopback connected when running the soundcard calibration routine only). Then the loopback is removed and you carry on with normal cables and measuring.

If so can i just couple them?
I don't really know what couple means, but both the line-in and line-out jacks on the diagram are presumed to be stereo jacks, so you need an adapter to 'break out' the left and right channel. A straight loopback cable would connect the left channel and then the right channel would be used for mic and AV connection. Again, I recommend not using the "Left Channel as Calibration reference" method as explained above.

Im guessing that is going to need another splitter?
Sure, if you want to run both mains.

And as for sound card mine wont work?
No, you only have a mic input. A Radio Shack SPL meter is a line-level device. You require a line-level input, as on an external USB soundcard (which you require).

Is there a specific one i need?
Any one that has an analog line-in and line-out will suffice. There are many. Not so many for Vista based PC's though. Here's a review of a Vista compatible USB external souncard. Here's one that works with XP (among many).

Did you read the connection basics thread? because they are both mentioned with links.

Also read The REW HELP FILES

brucek

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here are examples of some Y-cables and couplers. I use some currently for my subwoofers, and added surrounds. I have more of these stored away and laying around and one that is supposed to be a high end Y-cable that came with a subwoofer interconnect. This all gets cleaned up later of course but look at all the advantages of just some inexpensive accessories. Cable to short? Got two and need to save? Use a coupler or extension cable. :T

Wire Technology Cable Electronic device Sensor

Light Product Glass Metal

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok i thnk i got that part now. Thanks !!!! Now i just got the BFD, Just to make sure i get this right . I go from my yamaha SUB Pre out to BFD to my sub correct ? So i need a RCA to Mono 1/4 to tie Yammi to BFD then from the BFD 1/4 Mono to rca to the sub ? Correct . Thanks for any help here . looking to go get the plugs asap if this is right . Im also gonna buy the turtle beach sound card looks to be the best for vista . Sorry one last thing ,When i do add another sub i would use the other channel then from the BFD ? Basically would split the RCA to 2 1/4 monos to the BFD then, Out to 2 single RCAs to each sub ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, correct ....

brucek
Thanks Bruce, Id like to get this figured out . But im not gonna waste your time , Im gonna get new subs and am asking for suggestions or opinions in another post here .If you have any id love em !!!!!! until i get what i want im gonna wait here but keep an eye out for this post, cause im looking to get NEW subs very very soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.