Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined this forum, I sure like the info here. You guys are doing a great job. Anyway, my question is...I had the convergence IC's replaced and have the board back in the set. Now, I can adjust all direction, red and blue, but..The top right and the bottom left seem to be curved in. also the spacing between the lined both verticle and horizontal is out of whack. There are a million (not really but a lot of) pots to adjust each color vertical and horizontal on a board in the front of the tv. I can't find a service manual to instruct me in what each control does, and how to adjust the guns to optimum performance. There is no longer the bow and curves of the colors, they are fine except the extreme corner top right and bottom left.

any help is extremely appreciated. I want to make a gift for my step son, when he comes to visit for a "cool" gaming tv.

Jim

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The manual for this set was a paper manual IIRC. There are a number of web sites where you can buy scans of old manuals, or where you might find it for free. You just have to keep searching. Try the vendor listings and the stickies in the DIY section for some suggestions.

A tutorial on the adjustment of the many parameters on these old analog convergence systems could go on for pages. It depends on the specific set, much like newer systems. There are some patterns and I posted a general guideline for these in the convergence repair sticky. Look through it and you should find a little info to get started. The learning curve can be steep for some people and if you have missed something or messed something up you could be chasing your tail for a while. Make sure that you put everything together exactly as it came apart.

If you can't sort it out but everything does have an effect, look around for a tech who has specific experience with these older sets. Someone who only has done newer convergence systems and has never had much experience with these older ones might not be able to get much better results than you can.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will read the stickies and see how it works out. I have 2 other tv's received as free, one I just fixed with no problem, a mitusbishi WS-55311, and it looks great. I also got a mits W-62725 that may be a bit fun, DLP with a shut off issue after 20 minuts or so, and flickering like the old vertical hold problem, kind of anyway. Well, will keep informed what I find out, fix, or just plain have fun with. Thanks again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I add a picture attachment to this forum? If so, I would like to show what this set looks like in the corners so maybe I can get better feedback to fix that area. Maybe that will help this thing look better, and the spacing between lines, whew!!! that is a pain in the rear. I am thinking something about the yokes but not sure I understand that, just not doing it until I know for sure what to do. Better to be safe than sorry.
JIm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts