Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a large living room that has full height sliding glass panels on one and a half sides, marble floor, plaster ceiling. It has very bad reverberation, very poor speech intelligibility even if it's just 2 persons trying to have a normal conversation.

I plan to cover some walls with noise absorbing panels such as this but I cannot use these for the large areas of glass.

I have come across these translucent curtains (drapes in the USA) which are specified to have alpha_w of 0.65! (weight is 125 g/m² or 0.4 oz / sq foot)

Is it just me or is this too good to be true?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
It's pretty much too good to be true. Remember a single number like that is an average. Probably 1.0 or more from 1kHz up and little to nothing in the voice range. Not sure how they even come up with a number like that when it appears they're just specifying fabric. I have no idea how they turned that fabric into a finished product and what that product tested looked like, how thick, how full, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.