Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, REW has really shown I need as many bass traps in my room as possible..... the house is getting painted and I've been told I need to tidy up the traps I've already got in place before I build any more!

Do you think using an open pattern decorative wall panel as the front of the trap will be open enough to let the bass through? There are some nice designs out there, maybe just put a nice plain fabric between the panel and the rock wool insulation.

What do you think?

Cheers
uploadfromtaptalk1468973306193.jpg

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Hi all, REW has really shown I need as many bass traps in my room as possible..... the house is getting painted and I've been told I need to tidy up the traps I've already got in place before I build any more!

Do you think using an open pattern decorative wall panel as the front of the trap will be open enough to let the bass through? There are some nice designs out there, maybe just put a nice plain fabric between the panel and the rock wool insulation.

What do you think?

Cheers
View attachment 125225

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Yes again.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
How thick is the ridged fiberglass that you are planning to use? That face will let plenty of bass in...it's the thickness that makes the difference. Are you building side wall (1st reflection) or corner traps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the fg is around 100mm thick. These are going to be corner traps. More than happy to do a build thread once I get started.

Watch this space....

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1, it gets expensive, but making corner traps, you should make a triangular shape & stack them floor to ceiling. Use the sheets of 100 mm to make them. Use whole sheets for the 1st reflection points and 25-50 mm sheets behind the mains & center. Measure again & go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about building them as triangle shape but have read they should have an air gap between the trap and wall. So a flat trap that straddles the corner is what I have now, need to dress them up a bit that's all.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The thickness is what you need for base absorbtion. The gap behind the trap is for the return wave. The space gives the wave time to re-enter the trap at a different part of its sine wave, which increase its absorbtion. Ideally you would have the tri-trap spaced off the wall as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts