Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I designed this box and was hoping for some advise or opinions on it. I am pretty new to all this stuff but have done quite abit of reading the last couple weeks. I will get right to the pic, then explain more after.

I want to build this box and locate it behind my DLP TV. The empty box volume is 11ft3. I am considering either 1 Mal-X or 2 Shivas in it. Yes I will add bracing but, didnt want to draw it all if this is a bad idea. I will mount the drivers on the top side.

The port size is pretty much infinitely adjustable prebuild. The port depth is set at 2.685" but I can make it both longer and wider(or smaller). I have modeled up both speakers and can get good results with winISD. With tunes from 17-20hz I can keep 1st port res. around 200, and RMS air speed speed under 25ish.

On to some of my questions.

Will having the port on the small end of my box like that have a big negative impact?

When modeling in winisd and checking port speed, should I be using the peak, or RMS setting?

They will be upfiring towards a vaulted ceiling, any problems with that?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Will having the port on the small end of my box like that have a big negative impact?
Best ports are round ones, but you can still have a good port with a rectangular shape. What's the driver size?
When modeling in winisd and checking port speed, should I be using the peak, or RMS setting?
Using RMS will be more representative of program material unless you'll be listening to sin wave... so use RMS.
They will be upfiring towards a vaulted ceiling, any problems with that?
No relation with the ceiling shape, so no.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't have anything to back this up, but I don't like the way your port ends with a 90 degree bend. I am designing a sub with a slot port as well and I made sure to end the port with a straight on both ends. You might consider bring the port to the middle the box, do the 90, then take it halfway up the back wall. That will also take the inside end of the port away from the funnel and probably reduce the risk of any funny characteristics that may have resulted. Just my personal feelings on..I hope you don't mind. Otherwise, I love the idea. I've built two different subs to fill the corner space behind a TV stand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might consider bring the port to the middle the box, do the 90, then take it halfway up the back wall
Yeah I tossed the idea around of snorkeling the port along the inside of the back wall, and letting it open up around the midpoint of the box. I will tweak some numbers with port size to see if I can get a good fit that way.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I like this idea:T I learned on hts that ports should be clear of other objects (the wall is this case) around them, so maybe locating it away from the wall is a good idea? If this holds true, then perhaps locating it near the top, curving from back to front-facing outward is a possibility?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
It also depends on port size. From my experience, subs designed with up to 26 m/s RMS won't have noticeable port issues (at least to my ears), again unless one listens to sin waves and with a high tune, it shouldn't be a problem..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts