Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have to say 85-90% of the music I love was produced in the 70s. This decade was absolutely stuffed with awesome bands,singers and performers. IMHO today`s music (some of it loosely called music) can not hold a candle to the music from the 70s. I know a lot of this is probably due to the fact, this decade was my so called formative years. You would think,with the shear number of bands and today`s tech. there would be an abundance of new music that I would really like and feel compelled to buy. Perhaps the shear quantity of today`s music is obscuring me from finding new great music. My fear is what happens if I grow tired of repeatedly listening to the music from the 70s?:crying:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but there is so much good music from the 1970s, especially across various genres, I don't think one could ever get tired of it. There's quite a bit of music from the 1980s thru today, that is quite good if you look hard enough. AudioKarma has several "playlist" threads for various genres in the music forum. It a great way to learn about new music. You will occasionally find there is an artist or album you hadn't heard of before, or that you just overlooked.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The 70's were all about great music, my era as well. It's funny, my kids say the same thing, even though they like some of the music today as well. My youngest daughter just caught the vinal bug...and what does she bring home...Boston & Peter Frampton Live!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That is some good parenting. My daughter likes Black Sabbath because I made her listen to it growing up.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ive found Jazz is my favorite, I listen to anything thats good as long as it is not screamo or compressed so much there is no life left in it.
The 70s (particularly the latter part) is very much the leader in innovations for style and creativity in my opinion. I certainly like a lot of what came out during that time.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I think there is still good music being produced today but it's different than the 70's music so if you are just expecting new 70's music that's really not going to happen.
New rock music is hard to find in general because the radio is not playing it.
I also think it's harder for artists to sustain a career now so even if you find something you like that may be all there will ever be.
When I am listening to Pandora if something new is played and I like it I try to write down the artist and check out their body of work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points chashint. I guess for someone my age, who started listening in mid 70s a huge amount of leg work was already done, for listeners like me. In my area classic rock stations were king for 25-30 yrs. Not so much anymore though .Perhaps as a listener I am not growing enough musically but you like what you like.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can not quite make the leap to jazz, no offence Tony. It does not seem edgy enough for me. As close as I can get to jazz is early Steely Dan. Cant buy a thrill is awesome. Some Aja and a little Gaucho and thats about it. However I have not listened to very much jazz at all.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Good points chashint. I guess for someone my age, who started listening in mid 70s a huge amount of leg work was already done, for listeners like me. In my area classic rock stations were king for 25-30 yrs. Not so much anymore though .Perhaps as a listener I am not growing enough musically but you like what you like.
I never said I wasn't stuck in the 70's too.
My wife makes fun of me sometimes about it, but she is stuck in the 80's herself.
There were lots of pretty decent hair bands in the 80's and I must admit I have an affinity for the girl rockers of that decade.
Certainly not 70's style, but give this a try

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty cool tune, I am sure my computer speakers do not do it justice. That is kind of funny you would mention girl singers. The only new music I bought in the last 3-4 yrs is Adele-21 and Serena Ryder- Harmony. Have you heard any of Serena`s album? Great stuff IMHO. She is Canadian.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
I'm pretty much a 70's and early 80's rock guy too. Couple of newer rock types that I like are Susan Tedeschi and Grace Potter & the Nocturnals. Give a listen and tell us what ya think.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I think there is still good music being produced today but it's different than the 70's music so if you are just expecting new 70's music that's really not going to happen. New rock music is hard to find in general because the radio is not playing it. I also think it's harder for artists to sustain a career now so even if you find something you like that may be all there will ever be. When I am listening to Pandora if something new is played and I like it I try to write down the artist and check out their body of work.
I agree with a lot of these and would like to add some of my own observations of modern rock music. For me, finding new stuff via pandora has been great. Like chashint, I have a list of bands to learn about. One of my issues is digital recording, and the fairly common practice of 6db dynamic range with all the levels maxed. Every band also seems to have the same "sound". It used to be you could easily tell the difference in the studio that was used. Ie: "master of puppets" does not "sound" like "sergeant pepper". (Speed and distortion not withstanding lol), or the kick drum intro from iron man, vs the floor toms on the intro to slow ride. Now it all just sounds like dead space, with no atmosphere, or life. In contrast, how bout the intro to wish you were here by pink Floyd, or run like hell, any Boston album etc. I noticed this trend in the early 90's. I still love modern music too, but part of my love of the old is the human, "warts and all" stuff.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree willis,most new music seems soulless. After all the years of great bands it has got to be very,very hard to put out anything new and not already done better. I think chashint was on to something when he said the performers do not get a chance at a sustained career. No time to grow into a great band, even early Floyd was not good.IMHO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm pretty much a 70's and early 80's rock guy too. Couple of newer rock types that I like are Susan Tedeschi and Grace Potter & the Nocturnals. Give a listen and tell us what ya think.
Yes, I've got the LP version of Revelator by Tedeschi Trucks Band (Masterworks Records, 2011).

The following are also worth checking out:

Robert Cray Band - Live From Across The Pond (Nozzle Records/Vanguard Records, 2006)

Marc Broussard - Keep Coming Back (Atlantic Records, 2008)

Marc Broussard - SOS: Save Our Soul (Atlantic Records, 2007)

Fitz & The Tantrums - Pickin' UpThe Pieces (Dangerbird Records, 2010)

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
That's Trucks ala Allman Brothers Band :T
Both Tedeshi and Potter have a bit of the Blues mixed into their rock.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked out Susan Tedeschi,pretty good. Checked out Grace Potter and WOW! I have to get one of her CDs. Thanks.:help:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts