Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'd just like to express my guilt for jumping right in to asking for help and asking questions with out really contributing anything. Im a cable tech so if anyone has any questions about running coax, splitter configurations, amplifiers or anything related to dealing with a cable company feel free to pm me.

Anyways I started reading this forum more as a curiosity and I think it would be a really fun project/learning experience to try to build a sub.

Id be using this for 50/50 home theater and music.

The room is 17'Lx12'Wx10'H

I was searching around the internet for designs for subs that would fit and work well in a corner and i came across a sub that uses one driver on one of the 3 sides of the triangle and 2 passive radiators on the other.

Id like to spend around 200 on the driver if htat gives a good reference point for the rest of the project.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Well for the money it is very hard to beat the SI woofers. Which PR's? Pair of 18 PR's from TC Sounds?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those 18's are huge.
I was kind of hoping to keep the cabinet size smaller..

If you were looking down from the top..

<20"/\<20"
....<20"

20" tall as well.

Is this unrealistic?

I think this would give me around 3 cubic feet if my rough calculations are correct.

That would let me put the SI 15".

Im not sure how to determine what size radiator though.

The more I read about passive radiators the more intimidated i get. :yikes:

Maybe im just being unrealistic considering how much of a newb i am.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, yeah. My math is not strong. =D

To get 3.04 ft^3, I'd need each side to be 23in. (Inside the box of course.)

The way I came to that is I found the area of the actual triangle and multiplied that by the height.

-edit-
---Wow.. I could have simply used the calculator right in your sig.
Baby steps.
Anyways, it came up with the same. I'm guessing it will need to be a little bigger once the internal braces are imagined but this is the ballpark size I'm hoping for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts