Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun the box, I made a few modifications from the CSS plans. To add a little height my box is 19"x19"x22. I plan on putting it between a couple arm chairs and want it high enough to hold a lamp and drink.

The other deviation, I had Bob send me a Bash 300 with the kit instead of the 500. With a three year old and a new born, my budget is tight and the $100.00 i saved can go to diapers:gulp:
my volume levels are always low (cant wake the little ones) so i figured aside from the decrease in max volume the combination would still be a good replacement for the current 15 year old 10" junker i bought from future shop years ago. I am selling it cheap if anyones interested:rofl:

Your thoughts on the difference between the 300 or 500 would be interesting?

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Difference? What difference?

Here's the long and the short of it. Every doubling of power input raises the volume by 3 db. The same is true for halving the power = less 3 db. The good side is that 3 db is where most people just notice a difference.

Nice box!

Looks strudy and good quality pics.

Your well on the the way to Boomdom!

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered my solid wood veneer off ebay, a great scource for unusual veneer is small quantities. If you have lots of cash you might be best off with vinyl backed veneer in a 4x8 sheet, but still then you dont get the rare stuff.

pictured bellow are birds eye maple that I plan on using on the top and macassar ebony with a figured pattern, very rare. in fact I have never seen ebony with a figure before.

I also won on ebay some inlay strips that I plan on using as a divider between the two woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
As someone with young children, I can appreciate the need to save that extra cash! Diapers are NOT cheap! Good looking build!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spending $850cdn per month on daycare at the moment. it hurts!

was hoping to continue with the box this weekend, but it appears my wife has other plans for me, christmas lights!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I lika the veneer!

Is this your first time veneering or are you an old Pro?

You sure have good taste that's for sure. Beautifull stuff.

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pro would be a stretch. I have had allot of wood working and finishing experience both professionally and personally. I dont generally do things by the book, but opt for my own way using the limited tools that I have learning along the way.

have a look at the speakers I built in the link on my signature. I used the same veneering methods I plan to use here.

This will however be my first inlay. I plan to build a guitar one day and wanted to practice inlays so I thought this would be a good opportunity to learn.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have had allot of wood working and finishing experience both professionally and personally. I dont generally do things by the book, but opt for my own way using the limited tools that I have learning along the way.

have a look at the speakers I built in the link on my signature. I used the same veneering methods I plan to use here.
They look marvelous!

So how did you glue down the veneer? The job looks very good. I have done a fair bit. But I cheat and use different methods like a vacuum press and other methods. Been a professional cabinet maker off and on for over 22 years.

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/QUOTE] how did you glue down the veneer? The job looks very good. I have done a fair bit. But I cheat and use different methods like a vacuum press and other methods. Been a professional cabinet maker off and on for over 22 years.

Mark[/QUOTE]

what I would give for a vacuum press! thought of making one but the idea didnt last long. I use contact cement for the most part, up until now I have had no issues with delaminating so I hope they will stand the test of time:sweat: Think I will be fine.

I have not used a grain filler on the last speakers I built as I wanted to see the grain a little, thought on this build I might try a filler though, any recomendations on grain filler products? I have been using mowhawk brand lacquers. As this will be an end table I want the finish strong enough to take cups on the surface and dont want any pores where spills will go, not to say I wont kill whomever spills a drink:paddle:

·
Registered
580 Posts
what I would give for a vacuum press! thought of making one but the idea didnt last long. I use contact cement for the most part, up until now I have had no issues with delaminating so I hope they will stand the test of time Think I will be fine.
If you have an air compressor you have 3/4 of a vacuum press. The last quarter is making a bag. Easy to do. And then using the input on the air compressor ( the side where there is usually a filter actually sucks air into the compressor right! ) to create a vacuum in the bag. To make a bag use what ever you have on hand. I've used heavy vapor barrier or the bags I make for reuse are the plastic old ladies cover everything with! You know the kind. I use Tuck tape the red stuff to seal it up on the edges. Any normal air compressor fittings work in vacuum or compressed mode. And to seal up the bag I roll it over itself and clamp it between two boards. Once the vacuum sets it self seals.

You can draw about 14 psi with a vauum press which is over one ton per square foot. I've broken objects by drawing to high of a vacuum with my pump that I picked up from a surplus store 15 years ago.

As for finish and filler.

Lacquer has only one redeeming quality. It dries fast. I personally use it on commercial stuff only. It has no durability in a home environment. You want a good polyurethane. Water borne is faster drying but not as hard as solvent borne. For easy to get stuff try Home Despot and MinWax urethane fast dry. You can put on three coats in a day with it. I know it is much slower than lacquer but it is resistant to water and most cleaners unlike lacquer. As for filler if you like Mohawk stick with it. They make good stuff. MJ Cambell also make good stuff. I sometimes also use Elmers fill n finish from Home Despot. The golden Oak is almost uncanny in it's ability to blend in. And a couple of others can be blended to color most problems away when needed.

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made some headway today. Began working on the "top plate", Not sure what you call them.? As you can see in the pictures I dont use a router to cut out my speaker holes. I dont own a plunge router or a circle guide, luckely I have a good jig saw and a steady hand:bigsmile: The sub and passive test fits looked good, hopefully will get some more work done this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have an air compressor you have 3/4 of a vacuum press. The last quarter is making a bag. Easy to do. And then using the input on the air compressor ( the side where there is usually a filter actually sucks air into the compressor right! ) to create a vacuum in the bag. To make a bag use what ever you have on hand. I've used heavy vapor barrier or the bags I make for reuse are the plastic old ladies cover everything with! You know the kind. I use Tuck tape the red stuff to seal it up on the edges. Any normal air compressor fittings work in vacuum or compressed mode. And to seal up the bag I roll it over itself and clamp it between two boards. Once the vacuum sets it self seals.

You can draw about 14 psi with a vauum press which is over one ton per square foot. I've broken objects by drawing to high of a vacuum with my pump that I picked up from a surplus store 15 years ago.

As for finish and filler.

Lacquer has only one redeeming quality. It dries fast. I personally use it on commercial stuff only. It has no durability in a home environment. You want a good polyurethane. Water borne is faster drying but not as hard as solvent borne. For easy to get stuff try Home Despot and MinWax urethane fast dry. You can put on three coats in a day with it. I know it is much slower than lacquer but it is resistant to water and most cleaners unlike lacquer. As for filler if you like Mohawk stick with it. They make good stuff. MJ Cambell also make good stuff. I sometimes also use Elmers fill n finish from Home Despot. The golden Oak is almost uncanny in it's ability to blend in. And a couple of others can be blended to color most problems away when needed.

Mark
Thanks mark, I would love to see some pictures or tutorial on your vaccume press in action. you make it sound easy:gulp:

I started Painting and Decorating when I was 16, had red seal Jurneymen TQ by the time I was 19. I have trained and taught many courses on finishing. I left the trade 5 years ago for several reasons, mostly because I was bored. :clap:

Terms are not what they once were, "Lacquer" is nitrocellulose dissolved in solvent , it offered, excellent flow out, poor water resistance,poor mar resistance, But was used mostly for its Super fast dry and ability to be used in most shop enviroments and still give a high quality finish without the need for buffing. You can still find it on cheap furniture from China. With its Cons out weighing its Pros manufacturers starting using Alkyd resins (among others), to combine the same flow,and finish properties of Nitrocellulose but the wear resistance of Alkyd based coatings. The term Lacquer is now used mostly to describe Lacquer " like" properties. There are so called Waterborne lacquers on the market that do not have the same spray abilities, at least i cant spray them anyway:R. Pre cat Lacquers offer me the ability to spray in my dusty shop, still producing a high quality durable finish. I used to have a down draft booth and the possibilities were endless. But now I dont have time to clean the dust off the floor:unbelievable:

Have you had any luck with spraying the minwaxx product?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks mark, I would love to see some pictures or tutorial on your vaccume press in action. you make it sound easy
Sure it's easy. First you remove the word can't from your vocabulary and you replace it with "will find out what I have to do to get it done!"

Somehow I think your 95% the way there on that one.:R

A tutorial ouch. You aren't asking for to much eh!

A bag, a hose a platen with lines scored in it to let the air out around the pressed object. A tire valve stem in a hole in a big plastic bag sealed with shoe goo and voila. You hook this mess up to a air hose and the sucking end of a air compressor and you get a vacuum press. The rest I'll have to do with pictures on some of the builds I post later. ( the unofficial short short version )

I envy a properly trained finisher by the way. I went to watsamattau. I'm pretty good at it now but it was one steep learning curve. Pretty much sink or swim. At least I can spray water borne finish and it behaves for me. :whistling:

Have you had any luck with spraying the minwaxx product?
The Minwax stuff sprays well it is not a fast dry as you know but it is durable. If you have access to Post Catalyzed you get a decent finish with that stuff. I'm strictly water borne now. To allergic to the solvents in the other stuff. I only spray solvent based when I absolutely have to.

If your contact cement method works well good for you. But in 10 years you may be in for some fun depending on the type you used.

Another way is this:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/iron-on-veneering.htm This one is trying to sell you a fancy glue. But there are some decent tips on how to.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/ironon.html This one is all how to.

Just clean the iron and put it back. It's all downhill from here if your wife finds out your handy and know how to iron:rolleyesno:

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a little more done, hit my first snag, Hopefully there wont be to many.

When measuring for the location of the passives, I forgot to allow for the fact that I was adding a "top plate" ( what do you call these things already?) to the woofer side and not the amp side, thereby throwing my center point out by 3/4 of an inch. So my passives are not centered:hissyfit: I guess I could add a "top plate" to the amp side??, this thing is getting heavy!

I suppose I will be the only one that knows as the passives will be covered in grill cloth, but it still irks me.

I also had a chance to glue the top pieces together. I still need to cut it down slightly. I did a quick mock up of the corner and top just to get a visual.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
You know if you keep gluing things on that box it's gonna sound good and look classy. You realize that once you pull that off people come to expect that all the time!

Oh I just have to be bad sometimes. Make people appreciate it when I'm good.

Mark:neener:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did a little painting this week. I had some paint laying around so i thought i would use it up. There is another member on here with some great "piano black" finish work that inspired me. I have not had a chance to polish yet, but i will before i start the ebony edge work. I paint motorcycles as another hobby. (wife often complains that i have too many:rant:)

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I like the depth you achieved.

Is that wet or dry with the pepsi can?

Mark

1 - 20 of 109 Posts