Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was recommended the Parts-Express Tritrix kit, but now I see that Kevin Haskins a new speaker for fairly cheap ($40 or so before importing cots, blah blah blah) called Anarchy, and it looks impressive. So, my question is, if I were to build a pair of towers, mtm, etc.. with the Anarchy, how would it compare to the Tritrix kit, While keeping the cost the same or below the Tritrix cost for a pair?? I don't know twetters very well, so what tweeter and crossover would needed for Kevin's speakers to make them comparable it to the Tritrix for the same or cheaper price??

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well while Kevin's new driver is awesome and I fully look forward to seeing it used in some designs its not really an apples to apples comparison. The Anarchy is $40, so to make an MTM you need 4 thats $120 right there, plus a pair of tweeters and cross over components.

Also there are no designs for the Anarchy yet so you'll either have to make your own, have some one make one for you or hope one of Kevin's initial designs is for an MTM.

Finally the Anarchy won't be out for another 2-3 months. So, if you're in no hurry and can afford to spend 20-50% more at least then you can wait around for an Anarchy design, or you could buy the Tritrix which is a very good deal, build them and enjoy them and then maybe make an Anarchy MTM next year and either sell your Tritrix or use them in another room, or make them into rear surrounds, or something.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. With the increased power handling and low distortion, wouldn't the anarchy be able to match up (or even surpass) as a MT vs the tritrix MTM? That would cut cost significantly and probably come in close in price to the kit, no? Of course, I don't have a clue if sound quality would necessarily be better throughout the range, but it would surely dig deeper. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ironglen, I was just thinking the same thing also that you said. Strange huh.
Anyways, for 4 of the Anarchy's, it would be $160, not $120, right?

If I did decide to do the Anarchy towers, what tweeter would be good for them? And then comes the fun part of figuring out a crossover for them also. That's the only thing that it kinda holding me back on the Tritrix kit, is the fact that I would have to make the crossover, even though everything is there for it.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
The anarchies will likely run more than $160 since each weighs... 15lbs! So it will be more like $200 to your door for four. I'm guessing the same dayton tweeter will work fine as it can cross low enough, the differences in sound will rely on placement in the baffle, baffle shape/size, and crossover design.

Either way, you'll have to build the crossover using the parts specified by PE or Kevin. You can do that, no sweat, just a soldering iron and burnt fingers:rofl:

I haven't built my tritrix, yet.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't count the number of times I've dropped hot solder on me. One piece of solder burned its way so deep I had to heat it back up to get it back out. That hurt...:crying: I'm more careful now haha.
Is it hard to assemble to crossover board? I watched the youtube video that PE had on their website, but it was still kinda confusing.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Haven't done this, but basically you want a stiff plate that you drill small holes in for the component leads, then connect them on the backside. First you'll draw it out (plan), then lay them out on the plate(nicely if that matters), then make your connections by soldering. Add some holes to use with zip ties for heavy parts like inductors and/or hot glue, epoxy for others to keep everything in place if you like. Finally test it before mounting securing inside/underneath depending on build. Voila! Now, if it's a complicated one, with many parts, then it may get interesting in the planning for layout and soldering...hope I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems the assembly stage is easy enough, just knowing where to solder the wires would be kinda confusing unless I could see it or a picture of it.

What I'm getting at is, for about $180 or so extra over the Tritrix, would it be better to make an anarchy mtm? I am looking for quite a bit of clean tight bass, possibly not having to run my sub for music, and great mids and highs...

·
Registered
369 Posts
$180 over the cost of a pair of Tritrix is about $300, at that point you start opening youself up to quite a few designs. At that point you can start looking around and decide what you really want to build. Here are the last 4 years of DIY Iowa, complete with a list of all designs, average cost and rating by category. At which point you probably have over 10 or 15 solid designs you could conceivably build for $300. I think for $300 you can build a pair of Dayton Classic WMTMW which would probably push a fair amount of bass. Or build the Tritrix bookshelf with subs in the bases for a few more dollars. The more you're willing to spend the more choices you have, the more choices you have the harder it gets, but the more fun it gets too.

http://home.mchsi.com/~iowadiy2009/index.htm

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How would this work out? This Dayton (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho... &FTR=295-310&CFID=2180026&CFTOKEN=90518871) , an Anarchy, whatever twetter is good, an Anarchy, and then the Dayton again? Would that be accomplishing anything over just the Anarchy's and a tweeter? Or, would the two different woofers not sound good together?

I'm just thinking out of the box right now, as the Dayton's are fairly cheap anyways...

·
Registered
369 Posts
A WMTMW "Woofer, Mid, Tweeter, Mid, Woofer" using the Dayton Classic 8" eh? Well I really have no idea because I'm not a full fledged speaker designer, you'd have to have someone design the crossover for you.

Seeing as how the Anarchy is a high quality driver and I believe has more swept volume than the Dayton Classic 8" it would probably outclass the 8" and make the thing fairly redundant. The Dayton classic 8" could help bolster low end displacement a bit and cut down distortion on the Anarchy but would be somewhat redundant.

Could be an interesting design but I would be inclined to get somthing nice for the big woofer, like a Peerless or Dayton Reference 8" or larger for the big driver. I know the Dayton Classic drivers are cheap but I think you would be better served by either just making an Anarchy MTM and a sub or pair of subs or something.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, those 8" woofers would be in seperate box right? Maybe I could build an Anarchy MTM and have those 8's in a seperately confined box. It would still be in the main box, I could just have it boxed in, seperate from the other speakers...
Or, woul you just have the 8's sharing the box? haha sorry for so many questions...

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Just a thought; how about a MMMTM with 2.5 xover. That would be (4)anarchy per speaker, with the bottom two in a separate ported box, crossed over lower than the top two anarchies (as true mids). More costly xover though, but I think Kevin would say a pair of those anarchies can produce the lows with proper tuning. I think Zaph has a design like this.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts