Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to calibrate my soundcard to get a flat line to 0. I have following the pics for connections of the soundcard to my RS dig SPL. The soundcard that I'm using is the Creative XFi. It has mini line in jack but the output is either headphone symbol and it has LR rca outputs as well. I have a mini to male RCA splitter and an adapter with mini on one end and female rca's on the other. I am not going to the receiver at this moment, the output is going to the sub directly just for basic hook up to try and get everything right. These are pics of current setup trying to calibrate card. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You need to first create a soundcard calibration file.

Until that is accomplished there are no connections to an SPL meter or sub or receiver required.

Simply connect a loopback cable from the right channel line-out to the right channel line-in. Be sure to select the right channel for the input channel on the REW Settings page.

Run the soundcard Calibration Measure routine and save the file with the Make Cal button.

Now, with the loopback still in place, run a Check Levels routine (select Main speaker to Check/Set Levels), and when done, exit the Settings page and run a Calibrate routine (select Use REW speaker Cal signal) and set the level to 75dB.

Now run a Measurement from 0-20000Hz and the result should be a flat trace.

Remove the loopback and use that calibrated channel for the SPL meter and connection to your receiver.

brucek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to first create a soundcard calibration file.

Until that is accomplished there are no connections to an SPL meter or sub or receiver required.

Simply connect a loopback cable from the right channel line-out to the right channel line-in. Be sure to select the right channel for the input channel on the REW Settings page.

Run the soundcard Calibration Measure routine and save the file with the Make Cal button.

Now, with the loopback still in place, run a Check Levels routine (select Main speaker to Check/Set Levels), and when done, exit the Settings page and run a Calibrate routine (select Use REW speaker Cal signal) and set the level to 75dB.

Now run a Measurement from 0-20000Hz and the result should be a flat trace.

Remove the loopback and use that calibrated channel for the SPL meter and connection to your receiver.

brucek
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for quick response. So basically connect RCA cable using mini adapters from right channel output to right channel input. Then measure and that will give flat response. After that is accomplished, I can then proceed with hook ups per diagrams on help files in REW. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Once again, thank you brucek for the quick responses. It was very easy once I fully understood what I was doing, I think.:scratch:. Question, if using the same soundcard now, can that be used instead of going thru the whole routine again? Or do I have to calibrate the soundcard everytime there is going to be a measurement taken? And here is a pic of my first measurement, does it look ok? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
if using the same soundcard now, can that be used instead of going thru the whole routine again?
The soundcard calibration file does not need to be re-created.

The Check Levels and Calibrate routines need to be run each time you use REW or change any levels.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
For subwoofers, always use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - 200Hz) using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW.

brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts