Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this REW software and having a little trouble. I'm trying to calibrate the soundcard of my laptop. I am not using this for a home theater system, but rather to find problems with my home studio control room. Here is my set-up:

Output stereo 1/8" computer headphone outs
Input 1/4" channels 1 & 2 of MOTU 896 (see attachment)

(see attachment) Could this be caused by a feedback loop from record monitoring?
Also, my output device is set to "Java Sound Audio Engine". My input device is set to "Mac OS X, CoreAudio, Audio hardware". If left on default input I can't get a signal.

-Thanks

Here is one of the spectrum graphs I've been getting:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,514 Posts
Inputs from firewire soundcards can not be selected in REW when using a MAC.
Apple's Java implementation does not make 1394 connected soundcard inputs available to Java applications.

brucek
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried selecting the I/O in my system preferences and setting REW I/O to default, but no luck either.
Would the best answer is borrowing a friends PC laptop and installing REW and the drivers for the 896. Or is this Java firewire problem also on Windows based machines?

Thanks
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a programmer but here is what I just found out:

Java doesn't have a firewire library so programming needs to be done in C and then wrapped in Java. Does anyone have an updated plug-in that fixes this for Macs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I am new here, I tried the REW and got it to work in this Dell Pent D. I trying to calibrate the levels at the loopback test I noticed that both right and left bargraphs stay about 1/2 way up. The mic will register if I talk loudly. Are there certain soundcards I want?
Thanks
Wally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
That graph is exactly what I was getting trying to calibrate my soundcard on a Mac until I found this little work around posted by Bing:

1. I set it to 44.1k, left channel.....and hit "measure" to start soundcard calibration.
2. Hit 'next' 2 times to start the 1kHz tone started.

3. I increase Record Buffer to 64k with one click. The VU meters turn a darker shade of gray.
4. I turn it back down to 32k
5. I hit cancel in the lower right corner
6. then I start "measure" again.

6a. I switched it back to right channel before doing the final calibration.
6b. hit "next" 2 time to get it going again.

6a is a step I added in between 6 & 6b (which were all one step in the original post). I found that if I didn't switch back to right channel before hitting 'next' 2 times that it wouldn't work.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top