Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, would really appreciate some help with my issue.

I'm using a Stanton T60 turntable with a DiscMaster II cartridge and DiscMaster III stylus, running through a standard pre-amp to Bose Companion 3 speakers. After transporting the equipment from my college residence hall to my house in Jacksonville, I noticed an issue while playing my spiffy new 200 gram vinyl (Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out.) Every time I hit a high db level on the first track, I got static on the right speaker. I've switched out two of the cables (pre-amp to speakers and turntable to pre-amp) but the problem remains. Before I go blind into the repair shop and they tell me I need a part that costs more than the turntable, anyone have some ideas? And a related question, does anyone know a good repair shop in the Jacksonville, FL area that you trust?

Thank you all so much!

-Musicguy595

P.S. Also I've tried the album on another table and it sounds fine.:coocoo:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they were not. I'll give that a try and see if the speakers are at fault.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized that I'd already taken the speakers out of the equation by flipping around the cables in the preamp. When I switch red to white and white to red, the static switches sides and appears on the left instead. I'm then led to believe that the source is in the turntable itself. Let me know if the logic is off here, I would just test it with the speakers but I don't think I have the right cable to plug the other turntable with built-in RCA line to computer speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You should also check to make sure that the "anti-skate" is not set to strong and that the weight balance is set right on the tone arm.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anddd I found it. Realized I could test the head shell by using the one from the other turntable, and there it was. Looks like after 2 1/2 years, my Discmaster II is dead. Glad it wasn't the tone arm though.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess this is a better place than any to ask... what do you guys think for a replacement? I already have a headshell that came with the turntable so I just need a cartridge. I don't scratch or anything, just a casual listener on a small, small budget who appreciates sound quality.

Thanks again for everyone who threw out ideas!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You really need to test the tracking and skating forces. The only way to really do that is with a test record.

I am not familiar with that turntable and its tonearm. For a good recommendation to match a cartridge with it you should speak to a dealer that sell them. You want a cartridge with proper compliance to match the tonearm. Likely the original Stanton cartridge is designed to work with it, but there may be better choices.

No matter what you get, it needs to be set up properly and a test record is essential for doing that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts