Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like you have bad speakers, and if the other set you connected burned up, you may have a problem with the receiver. I would check for d.c. voltage across the speaker terminals for the rear channels. It is unlikely, as these receivers have pretty good protection and if there is any d.c. offset at the speaker terminals it should shut down before damaging the speakers.

Sometimes when you damage a speaker a voice coil will delaminate and short, sometimes only at certain volumes. This would make a receiver shut down. You could also bring the receiver to an authorized Yamaha servicer and they could test it and check the diagnostics in the unit, which will usually record the failure mode or protection mode. You can also get the service manual and try to diagnose it yourself, though I will warn that the diagnostics on these are not intuitive and more than one user that I can recall created more problems by getting into the service mode.

Yamaha service manuals used to be the cheapest on the market, but I have not bought one in a few years. You can also find many manuals free online, but be very careful of the source and scan any downloads for malware.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, just make sure that they are familiar with the Yamaha receivers, preferably an ASC. Where are you located.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Only if you have a short between the two lines.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the wires are shorted, fix them. If the speakers are the problem, you have to determine whther they are cost effective or possible to repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts