Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying the w7000 benq projector. Researching is becoming very difficult with so many options and no experience. Right now I have plenty of space in my basement 15 x 20 with only a computer setup in the room. Dark floors, walls and ceiling. No windows. The projector will be used for everything, the main focus being movies.

What kind of material would you use for this setup? The W7000's reviews claim the blacks are not very dark but the projector is bright. On the other hand, the projector is not very bright in 3D.

Any incite from those with more experience?

btw I have looked at BW paint and S_I_L_V_E_R. looks like the tools would add a lot to the cost?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
You can use any of the usual stuff as a screen surface, such as, pvc, plastic, foamboards, hardboard, mdf, laminate or even paint directly your wall if it's in good shape. You can go even to a blackout cloth that's not to be painted. Make sure, though, that your paint color of choice is quite dark (gray), around N7-N8 to compensate with Benq's extra luminosity.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I agree with Yiannis with regard to the gray paint. Especially if 3D isn't going to be a big part of your viewing habits. If you are going to use 3D primarily, go with a lighter shade of gray - something in the N9 range.

Welcome to the most respected home theater forum on the internet! :wave:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I agree with Yiannis with regard to the gray paint. Especially if 3D isn't going to be a big part of your viewing habits. If you are going to use 3D primarily, go with a lighter shade of gray - something in the N9 range.
You are quite wright my friend!! Forgot the 3D...:sad:

A N7 for 3D viewing is probably out of the question even with a light canon as W7000 on a screen of 100''. The N9 seems much more reasonable choice. Perhaps with that sort of choice he may consider buying an ND2 filter for 2D, as we were discussing on another thread with a similar bright enough projector (Optoma 25).:)

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I've just spent some time running some numbers and according to the review I read the W7000 gives 1241 lumens in "best mode" with the lamp on the Eco setting. With a 100" screen this gives slightly more than 40 fL. of image brightness. Using a N7.5 neutral gray paint with a measured gain of 0.77 that still gives sbout 956 lumens for 32 fL. of image brightness These numbers are too high for most people to view comfortably. The best bet may be for you to get a 2X ND filter to cut your projected lumens (and thus the fL) in half for 2D viewing and then remove the filter for viewing 3D which would produce a bright image in the desired range of 12 to 16 fL.

The N7.5 paint above was Valspar Ultra Premium in flat enamel finish tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. That paint has been replaced with another and I would now recommend the same color (Glidden 'Veil') in Valspar Signature interior matte finish.

BW™ can be rolled just like another latex paint, but extra care needs to be taken not to leave roller marks and to have a screen surface that is all the same texture (no cinder blocks though!). However, with the lumens you have you don't need the added gain of a BW™ screen.

You most DEFINITELY don't want to use SILVER (we generally don't mess with the hypens here) with that PJ and screen size. SILVER was a mix designed on another forum to try and wring the last lumen out of an under-powered PJ or and overly-large screen (or both). It is not neutral in color, it hot spots and it is by FAR the hardest screen to spray (it is essentially a clear finish with a little silver paint mixed in it). They make large claims for SILVER on it's home forum, but NONE of the screen attributes they claim have ever been proven even though this has been promised by the mixes developers time and time again. This mix also MUST be sprayed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all of the information! I'm not sure a pj is the thing for me if I have to buy filters. Didn't really see in the reviews that the projector will either be insanely bright or not worth it for 3d. There is not a setting that works well for brightness?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
thanks for all of the information! I'm not sure a pj is the thing for me if I have to buy filters. Didn't really see in the reviews that the projector will either be insanely bright or not worth it for 3d. There is not a setting that works well for brightness?
Can i ask you to which reviews are you refering to?

I had had the chance to deal with 7000 and calibrate it. After this, it gave me ~1000 lumens (lamp normal) and ~700 lumens (lamp eco). Who said that 7000 won't worth for 3D? It's exactly the opposite...it is considered one of the best projectors (if not the best) on 3D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have same Ben Q model W7000 and I used super white seamless paper (12' wide x 7' high) with wooden frame covered with black velveteen fabric to give contracts. Not bad at all but still exploring special screen material such as blackout fabric painting with HD paint.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I have same Ben Q model W7000 and I used super white seamless paper (12' wide x 7' high) with wooden frame covered with black velveteen fabric to give contracts. Not bad at all but still exploring special screen material such as blackout fabric painting with HD paint.
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

What do you mean by HD paint?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts