Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i sold my other sub i had and im wanting to do 1 12 in either a sonotube or regular ported box

ive been looking at the tc 2000s, does anyone know if the few tc has left have the black cone and the tall surround, if they do that might take the cake for me, i sent them a email

dont know on amp yet, either a 500 or 1000wt plate amp or a behringer ep1500 or 2500

the smaller the box the better as its for a bedroom

how much power do the 2000s need to reach xmax in say 4cube @20hz box?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
292 Posts
~1500 watts, according to a quick WinISD project. But at 4 cubed, I'd tune it lower than 20, or make the box smaller.

3 cubes at 17/18 Hz looks pretty good, (IMO) with room gain especially.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1500?

i thought their rms was only like a 1000

you are looking a a 2000 right, just ,making sure

3 cubes would be even better for me

·
Registered
521 Posts
So I just had to do it...model with those new PRs from CSS. :nerd:

Now how is that! See, a four inch port for the TC-2000 would be pretty big limitation because A) you can only tune so low or make the enclosure so small because the port takes up space B) Not enough port area for the displacement capability of the 2000.

But with the 18" 38.1mm xmax PR, you can go with just over 2ft^3 tuned to 20Hz, and not have to deal with nearly as much compression. Just a thought, and I was bored and felt like modeling it.

And mgboy is right about the power. As you can see, I used 2200W in my sim and the sub still wasn't at xmax above Fb, but close. I just uses 2200W for sim purposes though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i bought a tc2000

i called and she said they did have the high surround and black cone, but they only had a few left of the SVC4ohm, so it should be here sometime next week

some questions i have
1) what size box and tuning frequency
2) how much power to get good potential out of that box
3) placement of sub and port, i was gonna do a sonosub, but now i want to show the sub, ive always had something for the high roll surrounds, and black will match other stuff, sub is probably going to be be back up onto a wall, so i dont know if port back would work
4) what size port, i can do slot or aero, i was originally going with single 4" with flare in and out, but if thats not going to be enough, how about 2, maybe plug 1 for real low movies(18-20hz tune) use both for 27-28hz tune, just guessing on numbers

thanks guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well is a single 4" port going to be enough?

im trying to keep it on the cheaper side, and 140$ for the radiator is kinda expensive

or should i do 2 3"s, because 2 4" are like 50" long

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
TC-2000
Fixed SVC 12"
Qms 3.72
Res Ω 3.12
BL (Tm) 17.20
Mms (grams) 265.00
Cms µN/M 228.00
Sd (m^2) 0.0490
Lp (mH)
Ls (mH)
Rp Ω

Constants
c (m/s) 341.00
d (kg/m³ 1.20
K 9.64E-10

Calculated
Vas (liters) 76.39
Fs (Hz) 20.48
Qes 0.360
Qts 0.328
n0 1.76E-03
SPL (dB) 84.45

·
Registered
521 Posts
well is a single 4" port going to be enough?

im trying to keep it on the cheaper side, and 140$ for the radiator is kinda expensive

or should i do 2 3"s, because 2 4" are like 50" long
Nope...neither a single 4" or two 3" ports are really enough for this sub.

But obviously, going with two 4s or a single 6 is out of the question. Yeah, the PR is kinda expensive, and I'd usually never recommend one, but it would be the best way to get the most performance possible out of this sub in around 2.5ft^3.

But if you port it, I'd go with a single, nicely flared 4" port, like the aero you mentioned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought thats where a flared aero port helped, i dont have much expirence with aero ports or HT stuff, i usually use square ports

thanks rodney, i found them the other day on their site

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Flares do help in lowering the speed of airflow. The port must still be the proper diameter to keep air flow at the right speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also where is the best place to put the port?

i want the sub foward firing, so port firing foward with sub, back toward wall, or up? it cant go side ways due to a dresser, im not exactly sure where im gonna place it yet, either in front of me, but i have a 360 that sits 1.5 feet away, so i dont know if thats a little close or not, not really sure on the distance, or i could set it on the left side from me or the left back corner

its kinda wierd to describe, ill do a picture later

power is gonna be a behringer ep2500

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some where in the 2.5-3cubes at 17-20hz, havnt zoned in on a specific one, probably isnt too much difference between them, im like about 2.8 at 18hz or so, right in the middle on both, models pretty good, im not exactly what i want it to look like

how am i gonna do a subsonic, or will i need one if i tune to 18hz?i looked at the fmod inline rca ones on partsexpress, but lowest is 20hz 12/db

im trying to keep this cheap also

i have room on front, what if i have to do an elbow bend, which elbows will work on precision ports?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why don't you seal it up, and slap some EQ on it? It's gonna be hard to keep it tuned low with that microwaved size box, especially with port noise to consider.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Ehh, this driver doesn't model very well at all ported and not too great sealed either. I'd cut your losses and go small sealed, 35 effective liters, 1000 watts, and some EQ. If you try to go ported you WILL get either chuffing or resonances.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i already have the ports and flares, so im gonna try a ported box and see

i migth switch to sealed

what is a good 12" for home theater, i heard the 2000 was good, guess not now?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

half the reason i got it, ive always had something for the high roll surrounds, they are just pure sexy to me

the power

part of the port

i have to admitt, ive never done anything with tc stuff, just read some negative stuff on them, but so far the CS, the build and looks of the driver are great, will see how that goes in long run

i thought it would have the black cone, i called and they said it did, but i was emailing kyle and he corrected them, but the silver cone is still nice looking

rodney will be helping me on this

1 - 20 of 27 Posts