Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I read the "Minimal EQ, Target Levels, and a Hard-Knee House Curve" a few times.
Reason is I want to rerun my eq since I added my acoustic panels. They have been in for a while now but I feel like playing again.

If my crossover is at 60hz on my receiver how should I go about setting up a HKH Curve in my situation?
Wayne responded with the following -

Hmm... Well, I guess you have no choice but to do it from 60 Hz down. You might experiment with different frequencies for the low frequency "hinge" - say, 30 Hz, 28 Hz, 25 Hz - to see what gets you the best results.

Since you probably want the curve to continue above 60 Hz, what you could do is go ahead and create the HK curve in REW all the way up to 90-100 Hz or so, just as if your crossover was set there, and take a reading with both the subs and mains on. That would let you know if the mains were kicking in enough to maintain the HK curve above the 60 Hz crossover point.

The last part confused me - any help on it would be appreciated.

Also to make sure I am understanding his article and how to create a HK slope -

Wayne mentions - I usually start with the upper frequency tone - So 60hz in my case, and make a note of its SPL reading - say 75spl @ 40 volume on pre/pro. Then play the lower-frequency tone - say 30hz and adjust the receiver’s volume so that it sounds as loud as the first tone did. This will be a higher SPL reading than the first; the difference between the two readings is your house curve slope - so say I have to increase volume to 43 and the spl reads 80. This would be a 5db increase in spl or a 5db HK slope. Am I correct on this?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Even though your crossover is set at 60 Hz, you probably want the house curve to go higher than that. Create your hard-knee curve using say, 90 or 100 Hz as your upper frequency (instead of 60 Hz) and load the file into REW. Set the crossover frequency in REW at the same frequency (90 or 100 Hz). It'll look something like this (90 Hz in this example):

Then take a measurement with both subs and mains running. This will tell you if your main channels are kicking in enough to continue the curve above 60 Hz, where your sub drops out.

Make sense? :)

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In reference to - set the crossover frequency in REW at the same frequency are you referring to the target settings and cutoff(hz)?

Am I right on how to create the HK slope?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I assuming right on the following - When you want to run rew on both speakers and sub
you select speaker cal -

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Am I assuming right on the following - When you want to run rew on both speakers and sub
you select speaker cal
Nope, not when you're only checking up to 200Hz - you use sub cal pink noise.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
When measuring mains by themselves.

The sub cal pink noise is a band limited pink noise with a high cut of 80Hz and low cut of 30Hz. That energy range is quite suitable for measuring in the 0-200Hz region.

The speaker cal pink noise has a high cut of 2000Hz and a low cut of 500Hz, far more suited to testing mains speakers by themselves.

brucek

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK here are some graphs then...

1 - 60 xover sub only light blue - mains and subs dark blue
2 - 70 xover sub only dark blue - mains and subs light blue
3 - 80 xover sub only dark blue - mains and subs light blue
4 - 90 xover sub only light blue - mains and subs dark blue

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a way to show all measured with the house curve?

I am positive those are all different measurements 60 - 90 xover.

I can remeasure again....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I used your 6db HK Slope. Here is an example after 90 xover on receiver after filters.

Quick though - If I am using your 6db HK slope and prefer my receiver at 60 xover what setting am I suppose to use in the cutoff under target settings -

Is this 60 because of my 60 xover on the receiver or is it 90 because of the housecurve I am using?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts