1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
WOW!!!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I would have liked to have seen him use a regular mat also and compare the two. It definitely does make a huge difference though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Seems to reduce movement. I wonder if the texture has anything to do with it? But i opted for a acrylic platter, which most forums said was superior to metal or a matted platter. Cork and leather seemed to be less popular than the acrylic.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Uni-directional sound-dampened steel in combination with a single, large air-bladder "tuned" below the tonearm's resonant frequency (reminiscent of Bright Star's "Air Mass")? Very low filtering for structural borne vibration. Would it work? Survey says...
This is quite the interesting question my friend, I don't know. I see no reason to use the steel in this presentation other than to add weight to the platter which would frankly be problematic for some turntables. The steel itself would have to be checked for balance and would have to be non resonant. Why not just place the sound dampening material directly on the original platter as most mats tend to do and go from there. I think the varied use of polymers and various forms of hard ceramic as used on the Oracle seem to work very well albeit not quite as cheap probably as a circular section of a fixed metal might do. However this would definitely open up a can of worms as to which metal will best serve this problem, Ferrous or nonferrous ? As far as taking care of the tonearm I think Linn has done a very good job in conquering that prospect.

Now my head hurts....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why not a comparison with a standard mat? What does it prove, I mean who straps a motor like that to the plinth in the first place? Looks like a lot of audiophile stuff, a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Why not a comparison with a standard mat? What does it prove, I mean who straps a motor like that to the plinth in the first place? Looks like a lot of audiophile stuff, a solution in search of a problem.
I kind of understand why he strapped a motor to the plinth but you are right, is there a need. Maybe he is demonstrating the worst condtion. I do note that many tables these days have floating platter and arm and this issue may be far less effective.

For a gazillion years, about as long ago as our birthdays lovin, there have been tracking problems brought on by vibrations from such normal things as foot falls, or for me once, a train track adjacent to the rear of the apartment. No Cd's back then, and cassette tapes were not the best. So I tried many things to get the record to play but was never entirely successful until I bought a floating type turntable. Things were much better indeed.

Now I am back to the same problem, by tt is heavy and what have you but it truly needs isolation and I have not worked on proper treatments so I don't listen much. Maybe since this has been brought up, i should do more exploring of how to isolate my beast of a spinner.....hmmmmm

Here is the turntable, solid suspension and the home made Pass Labs Pearl phono preamp for the Denon cartridge when I use it. It sounds goood. Everyone likes pictures so there you have it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I kind of understand why he strapped a motor to the plinth but you are right, is there a need. Maybe he is demonstrating the worst condtion. I do note that many tables these days have floating platter and arm and this issue may be far less effective.

For a gazillion years, about as long ago as our birthdays lovin, there have been tracking problems brought on by vibrations from such normal things as foot falls, or for me once, a train track adjacent to the rear of the apartment. No Cd's back then, and cassette tapes were not the best. So I tried many things to get the record to play but was never entirely successful until I bought a floating type turntable. Things were much better indeed.

Now I am back to the same problem, by tt is heavy and what have you but it truly needs isolation and I have not worked on proper treatments so I don't listen much. Maybe since this has been brought up, i should do more exploring of how to isolate my beast of a spinner.....hmmmmm

Here is the turntable, solid suspension and the home made Pass Labs Pearl phono preamp for the Denon cartridge when I use it. It sounds goood. Everyone likes pictures so there you have it.
How is something from Pass home-made? Is it a kit?

I thought I'd try and improve my Technics SL1200mk2 suspension (this unit I've had for over 30 years), which is quite good, with some sorbothane units....the sorbothane pads actually made it worse and went back to standard. Hard to beat good initial engineering.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
How is something from Pass home-made? Is it a kit?

I thought I'd try and improve my Technics SL1200mk2 suspension (this unit I've had for over 30 years), which is quite good, with some sorbothane units....the sorbothane pads actually made it worse and went back to standard. Hard to beat good initial engineering.

Yep, this is a kit from Pass as you can see in the photo below. You can go to https://www.passdiy.com/ to view other newer items.

Then SL1200 is a good turntable, thank you for the thoughts on it. I believe that some changes can make things worse and you just proved it. Well done.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Seems to reduce movement. I wonder if the texture has anything to do with it? But i opted for a acrylic platter, which most forums said was superior to metal or a matted platter. Cork and leather seemed to be less popular than the acrylic.
I can vouch for Acrylic as my Project Xpression III uses one and its extremely quiet with stellar noise reduction properties. Even with the sub on which sits less than 6ft away from my TT, I get no bass indices rumble.

I also the question the sanity of the test. Like a previous poster stated, its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Also like the moderator stated, how does it handle low bass and heavy footsteps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts