Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a IB to my system. I allready have 4 svs cs ultras so I shouldn't need to get to crazy. I was wandering it two 18" mounted in the cealing in the front of the room would work?? I don't have a big enough opening to the rafters to build a cube and mount it so I was hopeing that an array would work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
will I get enough impact out of two 18"? Because the array won't be as stiff as the cube will it still sound OK?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So you'll be using the IB in addition to the 4 SVS units? You don't have enough impact already? How big is your room? What are your goals? What is your budget?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think you're probably covered with the SVS set you have and wouldn't derive any benefit from a pair of 18" IBs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's going to be quite challenging to brace a ceiling array enough to counteract the forces of 2 18's..

I'm guessing you want more sub-20hz information?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my room is 15.5 X 28 X 9.5. Yes I would continue to use the 4 svs. I would like to be flat to aprox 12-14hz. My goal is to keep strong impact 10-20hz with no port noise. I'm running the svs @16hz and I get port nose if there working. Since I'm allready this close to my goal maybe the addition of one 15" sonosub tuned to 14hz help pick of the slack, or maybe two 15" in the cealing instead?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or am I chasing a dream that doesn't really exist????????????

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Or am I chasing a dream that doesn't really exist????????????
Aren't we all :bigsmile:

If four SVS aren't enough and you have the means for IB then go for the additional 18's. Or sell the SVS subs and DIY something huge with the extra money :devil:

You can mount the drivers in a manifold (see following pic, erase 2 drivers) to counteract the vibrations. IB will have no port noise and very low distortion, but not as much output as a ported design with the same drivers. You'll want to add an eq like the BFD to help integrate them with the rest of your system.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thx...just out of curiousity what is the max DB one probably wants to be watching a movie at anyway realisticly. During say a heavy bass scene watching black hawk down 85-95....95-105....105-115db. I'm between 95-105 am I too high? Is that why I'm always tweeking and pissin around with them trying to get then to sound better? I feel like I just don't have them set up perfectely yet. Do I just need to turn down the bass a little :>)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would I get decent output from two 15's? The hole to my rafters isn't very big, I don't think wood for 18's would make it without making the hole in the cealing larger. And it seems like I could probably pick up a couple of used 15's pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would I get decent output from two 15's? The hole to my rafters isn't very big, I don't think wood for 18's would make it without making the hole in the cealing larger. And it seems like I could probably pick up a couple of used 15's pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had dual 15's at my old house and they did ok, I would probably want 4 for your goals. As for 18's you can always frame out the opening and sit the manifold on top of the joists, just make sure the seam is sealed and secured.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would say two 18" drivers would be the minimum. Try to build a manifold if at all possible, and then design it such that it would be easy to add two additional drivers (if you start out with just a pair). With 4 18" drivers, you probably won't even want the SVS's anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts