Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I went with the higher power LM3886 chip from National Semiconductor.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the lid on, a nice simple and clean 130 watt amplifier.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I went for the more compact design.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All together now.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And last, but not least, powered on. Have I mentioned I love blue light?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've been building quite a few iteration of the lm3886 for a few years now.
from the simple inverted, non inverted, buffered, valve buffered, regulated, to the more complex current iteration of the multiloop/current pump lm3886.

they sound really nice. my current resident amp powering my HT setup is based on a bridged, balanced lm3886.
though i could afford poweramps from onkyo, marantz, rotel, emotiva and the such, i still prefer to DIY for the fun (flexibility) of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I kinda dig those, guys. Especially the blue light. But seriously, those LM3875 and LM3886 have been favorites of mine for a long time. Inexpensive, easy to design with and great sounding!

I must say, I've never taken a liking to the T-amps. Even though the technology is interesting and makes sense, I just don't like them. But the LM38xx amps are more my style. Hard to say if this gives me a preconceived notion or not, but I do think they sound better.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I cannot BELIEVE how beautiful your builds are. You must have some metal working gear around. Wow!

I could probably drive headphones with a pair of those without even heat-sinking the cases. There are some nice made-up board and power supply combos out there for under $40 a set. Anyone have experience with them?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Here is a link to the Data Sheet.

Observations:
  • Looks like a fairly typical integrated circuit design.
  • Open loop gain not super high, high enough for low distortion. Some say you do not want it to be too high, it won't sound as good.
  • Protection from almost any fault condition, load, heat, supply voltage, input, you can't hurt the thing.
  • Connect directly to a heat sink, requires no external power transistors.
  • Super stable.
  • All linear class A/B design.
  • Good slew rate, good full-power performance at high frequencies.
  • Minimum additional components needed for a complete power amp.
  • Great specs all around, extremely flexible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts