Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations for the type of solder best to use for crossover construction. I have some 2% silver currently from other projects. Will standard 60/40 be fine or should silver be used? 2% or 4% silver? Is there really an audible difference between 60/40 and silver?

Any input would be appreciated

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
A lot of people have their preferences, but if your mechanical connections are sound, the solder should not be conducting much at all. I use 60/40 for most things and 2% for others, simply because I had some.

I have heard NOT to use 4% unless you have a really good temperature controlled soldering iron. It takes a lot of steady heat and even then it does not melt as evenly as 2% or the regular stuff. You can make it work, but apparently it is a lot of frustration for very little reward.

All this being said, there are plenty of 2% solders that are not ridiculously expensive, and several that will have you taking out a second mortgage. Go with the cheap stuff and avoid the WBT and other ripoffs.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck.
Anthony

G

·
If you can hear the difference, I will pay you $20... Credit of course towards some magic speaker cables I have with extra long copper grains, only $10k per side.:coocoo:

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Ah, the ancient romans used to season their food with lead. Apparently it has a sweet taste.

Of course, they all got dumb and their civilization fell . . . :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts