DIY mains I am building need to be crossed above 80-100 Hz
and a horn loaded subwoofer seems to be the only way to do
so and maintain sound quality from 16-125 Hz. Thank you for
explanative reply.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If you are truly going to use the horn up that high you had better use a fourth order crossover. And place the horn mouth as close to the speakers as is practical. If you can work out a steeper crossover slope it will work better. Let me know what you are using and maybe I can help you out.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Dont give up. I have had some of my builds sit for many months for various reasons. Just keep thinking about it and then there will be time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont give up. I have had some of my builds sit for many months for various reasons. Just keep thinking about it and then there will be time.
+1 it seems all my projects progress in fits and starts, with life and work having a tendency to get in the way!

As much as I desire to build this horn, I am 12" short in floor-to-ceiling clearance where it would need to go. Sadly I don't think my skills are up for doing a refold to fit my space :*(

·
Banned
6 Posts
Wow, that is some serious output/W.
I've been planning on building a ported sub of some sort, however they still require some serious wattage to produce spl and go low.

This horn looks like a beast, and can act as a screen stage and/or hide under the elevated rear seating area if I ever get going to actually start building my dedicated HT..

Time to play with hornresp again. Do you have any blueprint of this work your willing to share? Please? :T

·
Registered
12 Posts
WOW WOW WOW and WOW !!!!! Totally awesome. This sub performs, deep, clean, effortless powerful non distorted bass. Very musical can now hear separate bass notes. Thanks Mark for your design and replying to my emails.
Also got to thank Bob at CSS, great to deal with, Driver arrived in Australia within a week of ordering and also quick to reply to my initial emails.

Sub was built at my good friends workshop, Thanks Phil for your massive efforts. The sub is being tested in his house and was measuring 98db @30hz at three feet and 86 to 93db at 10 feet on general music. The 300 watt O Audio amp was not quite one third in volume. This was a quick test for air leaks around the driver with no problems. After playing for several days we moved the Sub to Brisbane. We used sand to fill the hollows instead of foam so it was probably around 140 kgs. We were able to move it quite easily with a specially made trolley, however we forgot about my 8ft ceilngs and of course on the first lift took out a chunk of plaster. I will get back to this thread in a couple of weeks and give you an update. I want to try it out for a month or two before painting and of course let the better half get used to it.

Ok so was this an easy build? Yes relatively. Follow Marks manual its well written and illustrated for novices like me.
Also thanks to Perth Pete and Kadijk for your excellent build photos. It helps with two people working together, total build time was ten days. The only proviso you must have plenty of clamps.
Cost for the structural grade plywood here in Aussie was $280.00 plus glue and trio 12 driver. Not sure of the cost of the lab12 in the US but definitely recommend building as your last subwoofer. Yes its huge, but buy your wife some flowers and then her favourite perfume, a new kitchen, lounge suite and an overseas holiday. You will not be disappointed.

Regards Rob.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for sharing! We're painting the kids bunk beds this week. After that the next project up is my sub build and while I'm 100% certain it will take me more than 10 days, you've really got me excited about it again. I can't wait to hear your listening impressions once you've had it a good go with it! It might be just the thing I need to kick me in the butt and get things going again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good to see another horn born!! I've been thinking lately, it's bitter sweet in a way. I love to build and experiment, but with this sub, there's absolutely no need to. It's subwoofer perfection in my mind...cost effective, and absolutely house shaking. I'm close to putting doors on the room it's in, and can't wait to experience the room pressure it will generate. I guess that will be the next level of awesome:))

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My ever growing quest to destroy a persons perception of good bass.

It's taking me to long with this one at a time stuff.

But once you hear it you will never go back.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I have some other projects to get done... But as soon as they are done, I want one! I am hoping to be ready early 2014 to start on this. Where do I get the plans for this bad boy?

tia,

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well show and tell time Gents.

How are the projects coming along?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Any news from the gents who are half way through their builds?

Those that have built. Initial impressions? Are you still regulatly blown away?

Itching to build a better subwoofer?

(Like that's possible) LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just catching up on any new builds and I see that its 12 months since my build. Still standing in the lounge room at the back unpainted. Still excited as I was when we first fired it up. Movies are incredible, the Reckhorn A400 sub amp cuts off at 16hz and using between 60 to 80 watts shakes everything like an earthquake. It has punch, slam and makes some movies downright scary with explosions and deep bass. Movies that come to mind, Star Trek, Gravity, Elysium, Terminator, Saving Private Ryan, and many more. Any music that has bass can be heard clearly and undistorted and organ music, if that is your taste, will excite you right down to 16hz. Its hard to describe very low organ notes, except to say that it is an astounding experience feeling the sound rather than hearing it. The air seems to turn to jelly and your couch and body seem to pulsate along with the house. There are several tracks in Elysium that do the same for several seconds. Orchestral music becomes more dynamic and powerful bringing the feeling of a live experience to the room. Rock, heavy metal, disco, blues , and music dvd's all sound cleaner, if that's the right word. Undistorted bass notes seem to allow my main speakers to sound better. I have 6 other small subs, 4 12's and 2 10's from the retail world, in comparison they are muddy and distorted. I find it difficult to find the right words to describe accurately what this Sub can do for your system and of course we all hear and interpret music in different ways. However for me personally its beyond fantastic and will start another build for a second room shortly. If you are still unsure just do it you won't be sorry. Thanks again Mark for designing a brilliant subwoofer. Regards Rob

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just catching up on any new builds and I see that its 12 months since my build. Still standing in the lounge room at the back unpainted. Still excited as I was when we first fired it up. Movies are incredible, the Reckhorn A400 sub amp cuts off at 16hz and using between 60 to 80 watts shakes everything like an earthquake. It has punch, slam and makes some movies downright scary with explosions and deep bass. Movies that come to mind, Star Trek, Gravity, Elysium, Terminator, Saving Private Ryan, and many more. Any music that has bass can be heard clearly and undistorted and organ music, if that is your taste, will excite you right down to 16hz. Its hard to describe very low organ notes, except to say that it is an astounding experience feeling the sound rather than hearing it. The air seems to turn to jelly and your couch and body seem to pulsate along with the house. There are several tracks in Elysium that do the same for several seconds. Orchestral music becomes more dynamic and powerful bringing the feeling of a live experience to the room. Rock, heavy metal, disco, blues , and music dvd's all sound cleaner, if that's the right word. Undistorted bass notes seem to allow my main speakers to sound better. I have 6 other small subs, 4 12's and 2 10's from the retail world, in comparison they are muddy and distorted. I find it difficult to find the right words to describe accurately what this Sub can do for your system and of course we all hear and interpret music in different ways. However for me personally its beyond fantastic and will start another build for a second room shortly. If you are still unsure just do it you won't be sorry. Thanks again Mark for designing a brilliant subwoofer. Regards Rob
I think you have a verified case of permagrin ( permanent smile ) !

So happy you have had success.

It was a real feat to design and make up the manual. And it was absolutely a shared effort with Bill Harms and Dan Finley.

And I am still plugging away at it from time to time. The driver choice has been updated. And some different arrangements have been created for different uses.

This is a design that will last the test of time.

Once you have built one of these you will stop looking for more.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts