Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm close to starting a ported sub build using an ultimax 18 tuned to 15hz.

My problem at the moment is which amp to get. I am currently considering.
I live in oz and all is expensive
Dayton audio spa1000, rack amp ($580)
Crown xls1000 or 1500 ( run bridge 4ohm)($500-$650)
Crown xti series is too expensive!!!
Inuke 3000dsp is unnavailable in oz ATM, can't find anywhere.
Anybody know what would be enough for that sub. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Buy as much power as you can. I would buy the Inuke 3000 or 6000 if you plan on more subs in the future.
Inuke 6000
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-NU6000

Inuke 3000
https://www.storedj.com.au/products/BEH-NU3000
It appears the Inuke 6000 is in stock. But the 3000 you would have to ask how long until they get more stock. Not really a big fan of the Dayton amps. I prefer pro audio amps myself.

Also nice to see someone else from Adelaide posting. :T

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope they have a dsp version. I need a hpf set at 13hz to protect the driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
What about a minidsp for the Hpass and EQ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would rather a few less items in the chain, going to wait for some emails back regarding 3000dsp availability...

Also.... Do you think that an ultimax 18 in a 12cft enclosure with a nu3000dsp have more output than a pb13ultra?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Have you simulated the Ultimax?

If it can beat 105db at 16hz and 110db at 20hz then it will beat the Ultra. The Ultra has multi tuned port options so thats why it has higher DB's at certain frequencies. A single 18 ported at 20hz will beat the Ultra at 20hz.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have put it in win isd but I had to do it a few times and not sure if it was 100% accurate.
If it was accurate it showed me 117db at 16hz!!!

Has anyone else built 1 of these? What kind of output is possible?

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
That sounds about right. I will have to look at a simulation again to be sure. I remember some other 18's getting about that SPL in similar cabinet sizes with similar excursion.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Dont forget to post some pics when the saw dust starts flying.:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey mikmaz

I have the same problem living in Cairns, I got my Dayton sa1000 from "The Loud Speaker Kit", it is a good amp, looks good, heavy and well made. I like the blue light on the power button, different from red.

I will be ordering a um 18-22 ultimax from parts express when they get some in stock. It is cheaper to buy from us and pay the $200 postage then it is to get it posted to cairns from Melbourne. Might be worth checking out.

Working on the box design at 20hz at the moment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Graeme

I have just ordered a um18 from loudspeaker kit. I like to support small australian businesses like the loudspeaker kit. We don't have many choices here in australia and I wouldn't like to imagine the price to ship it back to parts express if for instance it arrived damaged or doa.

I'll let you know how long it takes to get it in. Was told it shouldn't be more than about 2 weeks. I'm in no hurry anyway, still trying to choose an amp as the dayton won't suit me very we'll.

I plan for a 15hz tune. I also think the um 18 can take a lot of power. I think an inuke 3000dsp bridged so I can set limiters and eq the in room response.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I modeled the um18 in winisd and I was confused but it showed me it was capable of 117db at 15hz. Let me know what you get when you model yours at 20hz. Excursion was only at about 18mm. That's what makes me think I could use up to about 1500rms. But i am very new at this diy and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My room is a dedicated home theater room at14.5 ft by 14 ft with 9 ft ceilings. Not ideal but that's what the wife let me have. I listen at reference level volume. I plan on getting another one in the near future to replace my 10 inch velodyne. Not that I need two but that means twice the awesomeness. I am currently working on a way to decouple my projector from my ceiling because at 40 Hz my ceiling vibrates violently with this sub. When I built this room I already decoupled the ceiling using resilient channel but decoupling has little affect on low frequencies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow that's gotta be loud in that space. I don't have a dedicated theatre yet. I'm jealous. I'm a lucky to have what I have. My wife doesn't share my same love for big wood boxes. In my lounge room I have a pb12plus side firing into my couch and the ultimax will sit corner loaded. Took me 6months to get the ok.

It will be my last speaker of any sort till I get my own space.

Have you tried some eq? Do you have a peak at 40hz?

Then when u get your second ultimax you can blow the roof right off!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts