Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Sunfire 15" sub box which I am going to get rid of so I can make space in my room. I'm am going to place my next sub in the or on the wall front of room. I'm thinking of either going to go with the Dayton Audio UM18 or Fi IB3-18V2. I would like to go with just one of these speakers if I will get enough bass from just one. The space behind a false wall behind my screen is 7'x13'x1' so approx 91 cubic ft. Will one of these suffice my application or do I go two and or can I go 15's instead of 18' if I go with two. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My room is approx 7ft x 24ft x 13ft. Not all of this room is my HT only about 3/4 of it the rest is made of of my gettoni table and bar. Here's the thing when you start talking about decibels and the like you guys lose me cause Im not really tech savvy about this topic cause like I said never really got this involved. I would just by a sub and done. Now I'm gonna try this project jumping into the deep end with no life jacket and hoping to swim. From reading sounds like I would like to get below 30htz or at least want it to sound nice whether I'm listening to music or usually watching a good movie 90% of the time. Just trying to achieve some nice low bass with my best possible option. This is my room subs will go at the front below the left and right speakers. The space behind that fire place like I mentioned is 13ft x 7ft x 14inches. Thanks I hope this helps a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
In my 18'x28' space I use two Fi IB318s installed as infinite baffle subs, and I also use a DIY 15" sealed sub. The output of the infinite baffle subs need to be turned down compared to the sealed sub because the infinite baffle sub drivers bottom-out/distort much easier than the sealed sub. I'm always thinking about adding more subs to lessen the distortion when huge amounts of sub bass are called for.

Whether using infinite baffle sub, sealed sub, or ported sub, I always recommend using as much driver area and as many drivers as possible. This isn't so you can crank the bass higher than it needs to be, but rather so that you can achieve proper levels of sub bass without distortion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Gdstupac!! Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. So what I'm gathering is that in my situation I will be good hitting some good lows without distortion!! Now you mention the FI318's do you think I can achieve good lows using UM 18-22. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts