Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure my insulation scheme for my sub. I don't want to use fiberglass because I can't stand working with it, and I don't want it in my room (ported sub). I am NOT interested in having a conversation about potential health risks of fiberglass.

I have researched and found that cotton insulation works about as well as fiberglass. I also understand it works much better than "acoustic" foam or egg crate foam for absorbing low frequencies. UltraTouch seems to be the most common form of cotton insulation.

CSS sells 1/2" thick UltraTouch. I was thinking I want 1-2" of insulation. The stuff CSS sells is backed, so I don't think I could stack multiple layers. Home supply stores sell 3.5" thick UltraTouch. 3.5" seems like way to much, agreed? Also cotton insulation is "open cell" right? as in it should not take away any of my internal volume, right?

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
We're just a bit greener over here. :sarcastic:

Anyway, does anyone know if I need to account for this stuff in my volume calculations?
Yes, but it is a product of box size/density

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Box Stuffing.pdf has some measurements, but I've not seen a formula constructed. I supposes it would be possible with a graphing program to find a best fit curve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts