Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd never used WinISD, but modeled a Dayton Audio 18" UM18-22 sub in a sealed 4 cu ft enclosure. I also don't have the sub or amp yet. I think I put the parameters in correctly, and seem to get a -3dB point close to what parts express shows.

However, I don't fully understand the point of the signal tab is in WinISD. Can 50 watts really drive this sub to 104dB SPL like WinISD shows? This seems like it's plenty of power. If so, why do folks on AVS use 1500W/channel amps to drive subs like this?

I also modeled some parametric EQ settings to boost the low end. I was only able to keep cone excursion below the limits with the DSP settings when signal source input power was set low ~90W. My EQ settings are not going to work in the real world then? Also, will room gain really get me to 10Hz with four of these sealed enclosures?

Also, what would be the advantage of building enclosures with two UM18-22's versus two separate enclosures that are stacked?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Take a look at your amplifier apparent load power tab. While you stated you only used 50watts thats true but every time you added more DB's of EQ you doubled the amount of powered needed. So looking at your AALP tab you can see your needing 700watts at 10hz.

So take off the EQ and add 1500watts and you can see your around Xmax at 8hz. So thats why the need for a bigger amp.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It seems confusing that I can put 50W in, but when I add EQ it is increasing total system input power. I guess the block under the Signal tab doeesn't say "total system input power." Things make a lot more sense now :)

Take a look at your amplifier apparent load power tab. While you stated you only used 50watts thats true but every time you added more DB's of EQ you doubled the amount of powered needed. So looking at your AALP tab you can see your needing 700watts at 10hz.

So take off the EQ and add 1500watts and you can see your around Xmax at 8hz. So thats why the need for a bigger amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts