Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a seemingly dumb question to ask. I'm wondering if I should situate my umik so it's straight up. My focus right now is measuring my subs, in room at my LP. Being omni directional, makes me think this is right. Fwiw, I've been using my rat shack meter. (With cal file)

p.s. At what point do I need to consider pointing the capsule at the speakers? Individual channel measurements?
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
For subs straight up is fine. The UMIK's cal file (from miniDSP) is for the case where you point the mic at what you want to measure, so for individual speakers point the mic towards the speaker.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts
To expound a bit on John’s comments, bass frequencies are omnidirectional so it doesn’t matter where you point the mic when measuring subwoofers. For individual speaker measurements pointing at the speaker gets the most accurate results. Unless the UMIK-1’s calibration specifies otherwise, it was generated for on-axis measurements anyway.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
You will notice different results at different locations. Room effect affects your result although low-freq is ominous-directional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts