Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it's a good idea to let our members know which companies have refused to communicate with us when requesting samples for testing. I have attempted to contact Vutec and Stewart for samples and they never replied. The first contact was over a year ago and then again recently. I've never heard from either company.

If anyone thinks of a screen company that they want me to try and contact to test their wares, please reply. ;)

Screen Companies that have not sent samples or replied to queries for samples

LiquiScreen

XFS also known as Invisible Speaker

Vogel - may be out of business

ProjectX

I'll add/subtract to the list as necessary.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
How about including Screen Paint companies?
DIY Theatre has sent two prepainted sample panels, the White Opal No Contrast, an the White Opal High Contrast. The panel sizes are roughly 2'x3', so that's a pretty big package sent on their dime. I personally would have prefered a small 'paint' sample but when I was talking to them they said for a review they wanted to make sure that the panels were perfect. Not that it's hard to apply though, but some people have difficulty rolling anything and I understand where they are coming from because I've seen where the user blamed the product instead of any application issues they may have caused themself.

Digital Image provided a pint of their base coat and top coating.

Other companies have gone out of business.
  • Vogal's Mighty Brighty doesn't seem to exist anymore and when they did I never got a reply from them even after multiple attempts at contacting them.
  • PaintonScreens website is no longer up, so I assume they also went out of business.
  • XFS is 'officially' out of business, however they still show lots of screen information on their 'invisible speaker' site with a number to call for more information.

Goo-Systems won't send any samples for testing, or evaluation, but they will sell very small samples (a couple of ounces for around $20-$25)

Liquiscreen has 'officially' changed ownership, but it appears it just changed hands from father to son or another relative. They are still around, but I couldn't get them to sell me an order let alone get a sample. Perhaps it was a fear of trying to duplicate their product, I really don't know.

ProjectX is a UK based commercial screen paint company. I sent them some inquiries last year but never heard from them. Perhaps now that we have a moderator that's from that area he can make some calls.

That's about it as far as known commercial screen paint companies. There are of course the people that sell screen paints on eBay... technically I guess they could be considered 'commercial' since they are selling it for profit, but honestly I doubt they are an actual company with a business license and all. Personally, and let me say I don't have any major issues with this, I tend to think the people on eBay are most likely forum members on a predominate AV site selling their mixes (or even other's... which in that case I do have a bit of an ethical issue with that if it's the case). Maybe someday we'll test the eBay mixes, but keep in mind all this tends to get expensive on our end so we can't get to everything all at once.

I personally like DIY Theatre's products. They are a bit pricey compared to DIY and even some other commercial screen paints, but they do work very well. It doesn't cost as much as Goo, but is around twice the price of other commercial screen paints... but they have a very impressive lab and test and QA everything, which I can appriciate.

Vogel really had an interesting product. Their kit had a user survey sheet. After filling it out, you add up the numbers that correspond to your answers and then you add that amount of darkening agent to the main screen paint for a 'custom tailored' screen shade for a person's specific projector and room setup. Very interesting and unique product indeed... but... no replies to any emails, and nobody would answer the phone... and ultimately, as far as I can tell... they are no longer in business. (No duh with customer service like that!)

That's all the information I have, maybe some of the other moderators have information they can add.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A note on Stewart: They stopped providing samples a couple of years ago. They used to be very liberal on sending samples, actually very large samples. I know some that have gotten 3'x4' size samples from them, including the FireHawk.

What happened was on another AV site people were trying to reverse engineer the screens and not just test them for a review. Stewart, being a paid advertiser on the site was not too happy about this at all when they saw this happening- and it was happening a lot. Since then Stewart stopped giving out any samples to anyone.

That's the background information I know about the situation and I'm just passing it on for general information.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ProjectX is a UK based commercial screen paint company. I sent them some inquiries last year but never heard from them. Perhaps now that we have a moderator that's from that area he can make some calls.
i sure can - i'll give them a ring next week.
should i ask for a painted sample or just the paint?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Either way is okay I guess but personally I prefer an actual paint sample. It's easier to ship on their part and this way we can assess if it is hard to apply. Many people have experienced and reported some issues applying an even and streak free top coating with Goo, so if we had the actual paint we could evaluate that as well.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A note on Stewart: They stopped providing samples a couple of years ago. They used to be very liberal on sending samples, actually very large samples. I know some that have gotten 3'x4' size samples from them, including the FireHawk.

What happened was on another AV site people were trying to reverse engineer the screens and not just test them for a review. Stewart, being a paid advertiser on the site was not too happy about this at all when they saw this happening- and it was happening a lot. Since then Stewart stopped giving out any samples to anyone.

That's the background information I know about the situation and I'm just passing it on for general information.
You know that's a good point Bill. I think I knew this at one point but it was filed away deep in the brain and forgotten. :dizzy:

I'm planning on calling both Stewart and Vutec Monday to get some insight into why they won't send something out to me. I'll keep you updated.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed Vutec as they have responded and are sending samples. :T

I'd like to add that SI Screens has responded, but hasn't committed to anything yet. I've gotten two emails but no word on any samples in the mail yet. I may have to call them when I talk to Stewart and Elite on Monday.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added all of the companies Bill mentioned. I put XFS in their because I asked Maurice (MississippiMan) for samples quite some time ago when it was known that his Silver Fire mix was not a good option. He replied that he would and then never did. :dunno: I think Bill asked for some as well and was re-buffed as well.

Regardless they now have changed their formula for the fifth or sixth time and I have most of the stuff already. So Silver Fire V or VI :dunno: will be tested soon. :yes:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I doubt we'll get anything from XFS because he's officially said on another site that he is completely out of the commercial screen business. It's true that the XFS website is no longer up, but his speaker site has XFS and Blackflame references all over the site. So who knows.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew I wouldn't get anything from XFS because of who they are. :dunno: I don't know Pete but we all know Maurice. He's never delivered on anything in the 3 or so years that I've known him. And if deceit keeps working for him why should he change now. :dunno: When you live your life that way, for that long, you're scared of the truth. :sneeky:

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should add that I don't really have much time for that class of people anymore (Maurice). But I will check their 'new' formula out because I think everyone needs to know the truth. Not a bunch of gobbledy-gook that has absolutely nothing to do with screens. I mean the lengths to which he goes to try and sound important... while he throws spelling grammar and spelling completely out the window. I don't know. Maybe he's changed now. It's been awhile since I've been over there and I hope it's awhile before I have to go back.

If Silver Fire Part 6 is good we will say so. We won't lie. There's no need. I'm adding that to the list this week. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have tried to contact 'project X' yesterday evening and today via phone.
the phone is ringing out until the answering service message is heard.

so i have mailed their sales team instead with a request for a sample.

·
Registered
184 Posts
'Project X' have not yet replied to my email. i have also left a message on their answering service.

Mech - at this moment in time i think they should be added to the uncooperative list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts