Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So time for a DIY project to upgrade my home theater system. I sold some stuff on Craig list (glad I saved that 1,000 watt Metal halide grow light from my youth :). Home theater is the primary goal, music is secondary. What we have

50" Panasonic plasma (TH-50PZ85U) and a PS3 (Go Blue-ray!)

What I bought, all used..

Sony STR-DE597 6.1 (best I could find 3 out of 5 stars) and Klipsch Quintete II, very happy with these!

Dayton #300-794 plate amp (150 Watts at 8 ohms, 250 watts at 4 ohms)

Rockford Fosgate RFP 2810 10" subwoofer (designed for auto use).

What I have left..

KLH 8" subwoofer with 120 watt amp, I assume this is a 50 watts RMS amp.

2 Old JPL L-26 Decade cabinets (from my youth again)

10 " Cerwin-vega woofer, 8 Ohm dual voice coil, Model # W10-D. Built in 1989, excellent condition

Boston Acoustic 404V center channel, may us this for my back speaker.

$50 left

Good news, my wife has released some funds for a DIY stereo cabinet (painted MFD wood) which can include subwoofers (note: the shelves for the PS3, receiver will be mechanically isolated from the woofer, vibration issues).

Cabinet sizes, I may be able to get 8 cubic ft for one, another cabinet 4-6 cubic ft.

I been reading and reading and learning all I can using WinISD. Much more to learn, I need to do my homework.

I could try to find a 12" subwoofer for $50 (maybe a car sub such as Pioneer TS-W301R for $39) or

Use the Rockford Fosgate RFP 2810 with the Dayton amp, buy a 6-8" woofer and use the KLH amp for high level bass. The Klipsch are rated down to 100 Hz, a sealed 6-8" woofer may fill in this range. The amp is a bit weak.

Or get a job and stop thinking about subwoofers :)

Attached is the winISD files for the Pioneer and Rockgate subs. No info about the Cerwin-Vega sub

Thanks for listen, any advise would be welcomed...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
First off, welcome to the Shack! Here is some modeling with the expected SPL. All models do not exceed Xmax and a subsonic filter is applied at 18 hz which is what the Dayton plate amp has.

Green - Pioneer in sealed - not the best for HT. Ported is not an option with this sub.
Orange - The best you'll get out of the Fosgate.
Pink - Adire Audio Shiva MK III in mint shape. It's yours if you're willing to pay the shipping. Merry Xmas!

Shiva.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for my long winded post.

Can you post the wpd file for the Adire Audio Shiva MK III?

I may be interested.

At the preliminary design stage, I trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to research a dual subwoofer system to match my Klipsch Quintete II. A 10 or 12" and use the KLH amp driving a 6-8" woofer for the higher range of bass.

Or just dump the KLH system for $20 on Craigs list :)

I am a newbie to this stuff, sorry if these are basic questions (I need to research more on my own).

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike, there is a Santa this year for me!

I will take you up on your offer, I contact you with my email address to set up the details.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmmm maybe Mike is Santa

That pioneer sub doesn't look like a very good driver does it :daydream:

Make sure you post your Build thread and any questions you may have

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotta love Canadians, I spent many fine summer days with my Canadian friends (1,000 Island Nat. Park).

I enjoy their company, they enjoyed my Labatts :)

Thanks again Mike..

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
That pioneer sub doesn't look like a very good driver does it :daydream:
That's a sealed model, so it will naturally look weaker.

So mikey is playing Santa huh? Has he found another poor ole member to play that trick on again... :rolleyesno:

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's a sealed model, so it will naturally look weaker.

So mikey is playing Santa huh? Has he found another poor ole member to play that trick on again... :rolleyesno:
I was more thinking the required volume (145L) needed to get a flatish response :rolleyesno: Thats a huge box for a 12inch driver, even more so considering it is designed for Car Audio where that size box is huge not to mention how far down it appears to be at 10Hz and even 20Hz

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yeah... that's true. For a car... mostly 30Hz and up, there wouldn't be much difference between it and the Rockford sub, as far as response, but in a home, that extra down low would be helpful on movies. For my car, the ported looked better than sealed down low, but sealed won out by a long shot when it came to sound quality, but for the home I can not say that nearly as often it seems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts