Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone with Unibox help figure best enclosure size for a Dayton RS180-4 Driver.

Im building a Sealed version of "Monitor Statements", and would like to know best enclosure size for a Sealed version ??

Thanks!

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I don't have that one modeled in WinISD (what I use for sub / woofer sections).

My gut would say 0.3 to 0.5 cubic feet per driver for that size (10 to 14L)

Big, but sealed enclosures that don't have crazy xmax need more volume for the same frequency range.

Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vented original design is only 24 liters net, you're not going to be able to fit the drivers, mid tunnel, braces etc in a cab much smaller. Why modify a great design?
They will be used for HT, they were designed ported for low bass extension which will NOT be used,since they will be crossed at 80hz with Subs,.. so i might as well designe them sealed to get benifits, the sealed variant will have more accurate, phase coherent bass.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you don't want them ported, exclude the port.

This is one of the rare designs where all box dimensions have an affect on sound, due to the presence of a mid tunnel that's dependent on depth. You can't reduce height - no room - and width is critical when BSC is applied. The tunnel takes out your last degree of freedon, this side of dense fill, eg. bricks.

That said, Unibox predicts you'll be in a very good spot at 24L - fill will take you from box Q of 0.74 (empty) to 0.66 (heavy fill), allowing you to tune your bass response around the optimally flat Q of 0.707.

The downside is that 10W at 40Hz will push the driver past Xmax... at 30W it's 70Hz. This most certainly will work in your HT with normal 80Hz cross to subwoofer. I don't see much more to ask for...

HAve fun,
Frnak

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't want them ported, exclude the port.

This is one of the rare designs where all box dimensions have an affect on sound, due to the presence of a mid tunnel that's dependent on depth. You can't reduce height - no room - and width is critical when BSC is applied. The tunnel takes out your last degree of freedon, this side of dense fill, eg. bricks.

That said, Unibox predicts you'll be in a very good spot at 24L - fill will take you from box Q of 0.74 (empty) to 0.66 (heavy fill), allowing you to tune your bass response around the optimally flat Q of 0.707.

The downside is that 10W at 40Hz will push the driver past Xmax... at 30W it's 70Hz. This most certainly will work in your HT with normal 80Hz cross to subwoofer. I don't see much more to ask for...

HAve fun,
Frnak

Was this modeled with Unibox ??

·
Registered
302 Posts
If your results are at odds with someone else's, post them and let us take a look. It's not hard to mis-enter T/S parameters... just did that today, in fact. Having built RS180-base vented MTMs, I don't think I'm far off, but I used 8 ohm versions so data entry errors for the 4 ohm are possible in my analysis, too.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your results are at odds with someone else's, post them and let us take a look. It's not hard to mis-enter T/S parameters... just did that today, in fact. Having built RS180-base vented MTMs, I don't think I'm far off, but I used 8 ohm versions so data entry errors for the 4 ohm are possible in my analysis, too.

Have fun,
Frank
I dont have Excel2000 on my home computer ,only at work ,but i took a picture ,you cant see the F3 but it is at 52hz for a (20L) sealed box . If i remember correctly (24L) F3 was around 51hz !

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
"Print Screen" and "Paste" are your friend...

Using the same spec sheet data, I get the same as you, to within the least significant digit. I get 52.97Hz as an F3. 24L is 51.5Hz. This is well beyond "close enough."

Have fun,
Frnak

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Print Screen" and "Paste" are your friend...

Using the same spec sheet data, I get the same as you, to within the least significant digit. I get 52.97Hz as an F3. 24L is 51.5Hz. This is well beyond "close enough."

Have fun,
Frnak
Yes that is excactly what i get !

...In the Picture,..Is the Recommende box size (40,6L) ?, can that be right ??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, recommended box size is 40.6L... based on what criteria? Qtc

Qtc of 0.707 (or 1/sqrt(2)) gives an optimally flat LF response with a 12dB/Oct roll-off, and the only non-driver parameter is box size. It may not be optimum overall, but it's not a bad place to start.

"Recommended" also assumes an empty box, and adding fill drops Qtc, so you can get to 0.7 with less internal volume by adding fine fibers that make the box "seem" bigger in terms of driver response.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
302 Posts
You're not going to beat Jeff's answer...
"I recommended a generic value of .6 Ohms for crossover and speaker wire resistance if you are using a passive crossover. Of course, you can look up actual DCR values if you know the inductors you are going to use, and you should include about .1-.2 Ohms for speaker wire as well. If you are using a plate amp in the enlcosure then leave this cell blank. "

So the answer is that it depends, unless you're talking subwoofers, the it's 0. Look at the woofer's XO and see if there's a coil in series, and its DCR value. Use that plus 0.1ohm for wire. My mains are all capacitive loading, but my CC has a coil in series...

HAve fun,
Frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts