Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using an OB dipole sub for a while to compliment my OB mains. Since EQ'ing my mains though, the sub gets outperformed by the mains and doesnt' have much to add. As such I've decided to repurpose the parts (two unknown paper subwoofers and a Dayton 240 watt plate amp) to make a single dual driver sealed sub that will fit in my corner and double as a stand for one of my girlfriend's statues.

Real quick, I'm thinking about 3 cubic feet with two of these drivers;

Power handling: 150 watts RMS/250 watts max
Le: 2.75 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 6.9 ohms
Frequency range: 20-3,000 Hz
Fs: 20 Hz
SPL: 84 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 87.8 L
Qms: 4.42
Qes: .48
Qts: .43
Xmax: 8 mm
SD: 480 cm^2

Theoretical freespace F3 is 35Hz (see attached), which is fine for music. Build pics and tests to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In your modeling, did you account for the amps hi-pass filter?
Nope. Nor did I account for the 35 Hz Bass boost (defeatable) or room gain. I figured once built I'd put it in the room I'd measure and tune. The mains go down to 45ish Hz so the HP filter will be set pretty low.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how to do it in the program you're using, I use WinISD.

Your cabinet looks great.
I supposed I could make or find a comparable .frd file for unibox, but it won't change much in the design. From the excursion graph you can see I already can't run this one hot if I want it to stay linear. OTOH, this is for music, not HT, so I'm not too worried about that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to be busy with some house work for a while, but I figured I'd clear space in my shop by hooking this up (unfinished). Sounds great! No measurements yet but it blends very well with the OB mains.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts