Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: ***** UPDATED (w/pics) ****** Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

Nice! I was going to ask about stuffing acoustic material into the box, but see you already addressed this in your previous post.

Very excellent work.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Mate I have to say again and again, that's up there with the quality of commercial subs mate. Those ports look awesome. I can't believe the workmanship of your bracing aswell. :clap::clap::clap:

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

I'm quite surprised how well the flaring has turned out, no offence intended. Its not something I would have ever considered trying, but looking at the results you have achieved I would actually consider trying it now.

Nice work, I'm enjoying keeping up with the progress of your build.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

Mate I have to say again and again, that's up there with the quality of commercial subs mate. Those ports look awesome. I can't believe the workmanship of your bracing aswell. :clap::clap::clap:

cheers

Graham
I'm quite surprised how well the flaring has turned out, no offence intended. Its not something I would have ever considered trying, but looking at the results you have achieved I would actually consider trying it now.

Nice work, I'm enjoying keeping up with the progress of your build.

Thanks Graham and Moonfly!

The box is the farthest thing from perfect, but for me, this is one of the best builds I have done to date. The ports will consume quite a bit of build time, but I think they will be well worth the effort. Like I said before, I had no idea how the ports would turn out, honestly I didn't think it would work, but using the technique that I described below will give you results like I got. Now, granted, I didn't show ALL of the attempts at making a port, because well they were horrible! LOL! I guess I could show some pics of what will happen if you don't follow the steps I listed. The biggest thing that you can do do make sure that your ports turn out well, is have patience. Heat the pipe in small sections, and twist the pipe initially before you start applying lots of pressure. Just twist it enough to get the edges to fold outward. Once you have that started, start applying pressure, LOTS OF PRESSURE! I have an idea of a different way of applying pressure, but I need to think about it more before I decide to try it. I will let everyone know if it works....

Thanks again everyone

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment we have all been waiting for . . . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Here is the equipment.... no pics of the enclosure as of yet.... still lotsa work to do yet on the box itself. Was gone a couple days this week to a school board meeting in OKC, so there went two evenings of work time. Anyway......

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Well, more work done today. Most of the work was concentrated on the port construction. One thing learned today is that pipe clamps work the best for compressing the heated pipe. Also too, if you get a bulge in the pipe, stop, pull the pipe off, reheat and start over. The bulge will go away if you reheat the pipe. I had my dad take some pics of me performing a flare to show you guys how the process goes. I also included some pics of the mold itself.
One of the other items installed today was the neutronix connection. It is a pro-audio connection for power amps, which works out great for the passthrough connection into the enclosure from the amp itself. I ordered it from parts express.
I painted the bottom trim board as well. I wasn't completely satisfied with the finish of it. Some blemishes can be seen. I think I will sand those areas down some more, add some filler and re-paint it.
I also test fit all of the components to make sure that they fit properly. Which they did. The one major problem that I came across was mounting the amp. When I attached the amp box to the enclosure itself, I drilled my mount holes in the EXACT spot that the amp needed. So I had to chip out the bondo, remove the screws, redrill new holes and replace the screws. Once I did that, the amp fit perfect. All the holes already drilled of course LOL!
Anyway, that is all I can think of ATM. If I think of anything else, I will post it. Enjoy the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts

great idea on the port flare

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

That is really impressive stuff. If I ever do another ported sub with round ports I will get you to knock me some up and send them to the UK. Only joking, don't panic.

Great mate though.

Graham

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

That is really impressive stuff. If I ever do another ported sub with round ports I will get you to knock me some up and send them to the UK. Only joking, don't panic.

Great mate though.

Graham
HAHAHAHA! The ports do take time. Pipe clamps DO work the best, I can attest to that!. Seriously though, if you want some, I'd have to figure out what it would cost, but honestly, anyone can do it. It's not THAT tough. It just takes patience.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Ah! patience is something I was never born with unfortunately. Can never wait gotta have it now is my policy.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Hello All!

Today was a very productive day in that, it finally came to life! I will get to the details in a bit. Well, my buddy James and I worked on the sub pretty much all day long. We got all of the ports done, and the screw(pipe) clamps worked great, just like we hoped. Just about everything is ready to go on the box. By saying that I mean I am just about ready to apply veneer. I still have to do some work to the peanut board. I applyed some bondo to the routered edge of the peanut board and still have to fine sand it, primer it and paint it. When I do that, I will also shoot the box as well. I included some pics of all the work done today. Once the speaker wire was completed, James and I mounted the speakers in the box. We mounted the amp and made all of the necessary connections. The speakers are wired in series (dual 4 ohm) to get an 8 ohm load. Both speakers are then wired into a parallel connection to the amp to get a 4 ohm load. Each speaker will theoretically be receiving 512 watts. The speakers are rated at 600 watts RMS. Perfect. Once everything was mounted and wired we hooked up my Blackberry via a 1/8" to RCA adapter cable. Here is where it gets NASTY!!!... In a good way....

The sub hits like a sledgehammer... at ALL frequencies! The lower the better. You set the crossover at 40hz and it is scary how low it gets. At one point I was playing some Opeth (yeah, I'm a metal head). The song being "Beneath The Mire". The reason I like this song is because it has some very articulated double kick drum work, that and being a drummer myself, I love it. My dad was standing out on his back porch about 150 feet away from the shed and he thought there was a heli flying over. Now some of you might think, "oh thats not that great" you also have to realize too that the sub was being played in a 30x40 shed, 150 feet away...... Yeah, pretty incredible for 2 12's. One note, this box plays flat, and there were no dead spots in frequency reproduction that I could audibly hear. Like I said before, the lower the box played, the better it sounded. Makes me feel really good about my design.

The acoustic foam that I bought is WELL WORTH IT!!! Man that stuff works phenomenally! It tightened the sound of the box up SIGNIFICANTLY. Not boomy at all. Before the foam it sounded like it was very boomy, open and had some noticeable reverb in the box. After applying the foam, it was GONE! Buy the stuff, it works wonders. You can buy it at parts express. Just do a search for acoustic foam. I bought the 1 1/2" stuff. Comes in 24"x18" sheets. Eight sheets completed the box.

CONSTRUCTION NOTE:
Make sure to let the epoxy dry completely (24hrs) before mounting speakers. When we were removing the speakers, one of the mounting nuts (T-nuts), broke lose from the wood. It took near an hour to remove the nut.

Ok, I'm beat, I can't think of a whole lot more ATM. I will post more if I think about it. Next weekend I will try to finish up the peanut board and start on the veneer.

Here are the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Hi mate,

Looks good as usual. Did you double up the acoustic foam or single. I put a single layer just around the driver and not at the bottom of my sub so I was wondering if I should have put it at the bottom part as well. (Sorry to jump your thread)

What are your thoughts.

When do you think you will be getting some graphs for us to look at?

I took some mearurements the other day and my duals are co located and I am getting a full 6db from 10 to 30hz, then it levels out. Yum Yum.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Hi mate,

Looks good as usual. Did you double up the acoustic foam or single. I put a single layer just around the driver and not at the bottom of my sub so I was wondering if I should have put it at the bottom part as well. (Sorry to jump your thread)

What are your thoughts.

When do you think you will be getting some graphs for us to look at?

I took some mearurements the other day and my duals are co located and I am getting a full 6db from 10 to 30hz, then it levels out. Yum Yum.

cheers

Graham
Hey Graham,

I just put a single layer. Typical thickness for deadening. I will try and get some measurements some time this week, maybe. I only put deadening on the sidewalls, and the back of the enclosure. I did not deaden the mounting face. Nice looking build you have going!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

Hi there,

My builds are finished, well all except for veneering. I was wondering whether acoustic foam needed to go all inside the box or just where the driver is. Looking forward to your finished sub mate.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

I might some more when I do the veneering and take the drivers out.

cheers

Graham

41 - 60 of 112 Posts