Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Re: ***** UPDATED (w/pics) ****** Dual RE SE-12 End table sub build...

Hi there,

Thats a great response mate. Is that EQ'd and with speakers. do you have any more pics?

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Hey Graham,

That is un-eq'd. I tested the sub in the shed at a 1m distance. That is the true sub response itself with no room gain to speak of. I will do another test once the sub is in the house. Sorry, no more pics yet.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Sorry to be a bit thick but is that free air or with the driver in the box placed in the shed and measured at one metre. It will be interesting to see the graph when it is in the house in its place of glory.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

Hey Graham,

That is un-eq'd. I tested the sub in the shed at a 1m distance. That is the true sub response itself with no room gain to speak of. I will do another test once the sub is in the house. Sorry, no more pics yet.
If your in the shed it will still have an affect. Try outside the shed and taking a near-field measurement to see if there is any difference. It looks good though, and going outside probably wont make a huge difference.

Be interesting to see what your room does to that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Sorry to be a bit thick but is that free air or with the driver in the box placed in the shed and measured at one metre. It will be interesting to see the graph when it is in the house in its place of glory.

cheers

Graham
Yeah that measurement was with the drivers in the enclosure.

Moonfly, that is a great point. Didn't think of that. I will do that this weekend. It has been raining here and I really didn't want to take it out and get it wet LOL!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

Hello all!

This weekend was a productive one to say the least. I started applying the veneer to the enclosure and had pretty good luck. I have included some pictures of the process.

Enjoy!

Attach file:

P1010252_sm.jpg (91.36 KB)

P1010255_sm.jpg (152.44 KB)

P1010256_sm.jpg (142.63 KB)

P1010261_sm.jpg (116.17 KB)

P1010264_sm.jpg (170.75 KB)

P1010265_sm.jpg (164.63 KB)

P1010267_sm.jpg (171.09 KB)

P1010268_sm.jpg (160.17 KB)

P1010134_sm.jpg (111.45 KB)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

Wicked pictures :T, a real step by step of how its done, top job.

The veneer looks to have turned out very well, you make it look easy.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Veneering is really easy. I still need to do mine but I need to paint my ports first.

Good job mate.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

Thanks guys! Graham is correct. Veneering is very easy. The iron on technique is probably the best way to do it. Contact cement gives you 0 room for error, which is why I didn't opt to do it. I still have to do the top, bottom and the back. Should be done this week..... if all goes well that is LOL!

I still have to do a video of the port flare. Maybe this week too.... :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Wow, Tim that's a fantastic looking sub, and beautiful work so far. The bracing, the port flares, all just awesome. The only thought I had was that I didn't see if you planned to countersink and flush mount the ports at the back?

Keep it up, I'll be watching to see this one through!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

Wow, Tim that's a fantastic looking sub, and beautiful work so far. The bracing, the port flares, all just awesome. The only thought I had was that I didn't see if you planned to countersink and flush mount the ports at the back?

Keep it up, I'll be watching to see this one through!
Thanks!

Yeah, I thought about recessing the port tubes but they will look fine not recessed. The reason is simply that the amp itself isn't recessed and the ports look fine next to it not recessed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

Hey all!

More work done today. I guess it would be a weekend update! Well........ I guess I will let the pics speak for themselves. The box is veneered and stained. I have to say it looks outstanding! The edge banding is a pain in the rear, just because it is sooooooooo thin. You don't need to sand it much. Use some 220 grit sand paper and you should be fine. The only work that I have left to do is to build the doors and the drawer face, finish the peanut board and varnish it. I'd say I have around 3 weekends worth of work left or more. It's turning out better than I had ever dreamed it would.

More next week!

Attach file:

P1010002_sm.jpg (111.09 KB)

P1010014_sm.jpg (113.22 KB)

P1010019_sm.jpg (151.35 KB)

P1010028_sm.jpg (119.38 KB)

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts

WOW thats pretty impressive.

Looks like you have been building speaker cabs for years with the attention to detail.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

WOW thats pretty impressive.

Looks like you have been building speaker cabs for years with the attention to detail.
Awesome cabinet work!

Thanks guys! I am soooooo ready to get this in my house.....

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

Looking great Tim. Cant wait to see it all completed :yes: and thankyou for going to the trouble of sharing it :clap:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Agreed with Dan, I have enjoyed following this one from beginning to end. :T

cheers

Graham

61 - 80 of 112 Posts