Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 20 yr old sherwood rv1340r died a couple of days ago(turned off & did not turn on again). As you can tell, i dont update regularly, only on an as needed basis. This was actually a home sound system that gave me some basic home theatre functions. I have alot of legacy equipment, nothing HDMI yet, My DVD player was aquired to replace & update a dead CD player. DVD player has its own issues and likely going to get a BluRay player that will give me HDMI, Wired Networking(my router in in a closet on the otherside of the wall behind my system)wireless lan as well as other options- its amazing to me what even the cheap BR players have on them, and i just started looking at them in walmart yesterday.
As i have been searching for info i stumbled on this and other forums and have been reading and searching for something to fill the receiver void. Not high end by any means, we only use it 1-4x a month anymore and i dont have room for more speakers. I have 2 pairs of large old 8ohm speakers stacked in the front played as A+B with a pair of small rear/side surrounds. I could eventually see a way to add a center, but no place for a sub. Speakers will eventully be something i would replace. Things i want to keep in my system are cassette deck at least for playing the tapes i have & my turntable- i have a couple yards of vynil. There is an equalizer running through tape2 but with something like Audessey or proprietry similars i could eliminate that. Also have a VCR. I need something that will allow for what i have that i am keeping and give me future updating. That means legacy analog ins/outs as well as optical, coax etc. HDMI is something i will eventually need i know- When my old tv quits. Even so, i dont have cable. OTA is what i use and with networking i can get more content and avoid cable. I also have one other issue. The Sherwood had a big footprint. It hung out the front of my cab a couple of inches. im trying to find something that isnt more than 15" deep, preferably 14 or less.
I am not adverse to used but prefer new old stock that will suit my needs. My sherwood had plenty of power for my place at 110w per chanel front- surround was 20w/chanel-which was ok.
So now i need suggestions for stuff that will fit my needs. I am not putting a price limit because its the needs that dictate this(my sherwood was $279 in 1991)and as stated, its not high end, pretty basic.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I do believe Andre provided some excellent ideas. At this point, it is pretty much impossible not to get an HDMI AVR. That being said, almost all offer Component Video Switching and even Composite. S-Video is becoming an endangered species however.

The Marantz SR6005 or even 6004 would be a great call. The Onkyo's provide stellar value as well. If interested in Denon, check out Dakmart as they offer Factory Reconditioned Denon AVR's that provide a 1 Year Warranty. All other Authorized Reconditioned Denon Retailers only offer a 90 Day Warranty including Retailers like Ecost.

If wanting new, Newegg has the best prices consistently of any Retailer I have come across. I would avoid their Open Box AVR's as they only offer a 90 Day Warranty compared to the 2 Year Warranty that is pretty common on all A-Stock AVR's.

If you provide the amount of money you feel comfortable spending, I can give you more specific recommendations. As Amplifier Sections have been hugely downsized in Entry Level AVR's to keep up with the newest HDMI Spec, Surround Codec Licensing (Dolby Digital, DTS, et al), and Room Correction EQ's, the only way to keep prices competitive in this most cutthroat Market is to use weaker Power Transformers, Capacitor Banks, and Heat Sinks. I mention this as I do not want you to be disappointed by the new AVR you purchase. 98% of AVR's do not come close to meeting their Rated Power when Bench Tested into 5 and 7 Channels.

If not adverse to used Onkyo's TX-SR805 and 875 are both available for almost always under 500 Dollars and are some of the handful of AVR's whose Power Output is actually honest. Sadly, newer 800 Series have not come close to the 805 and all Onkyo AVR's since the x05 Series have shifted Manufacturing to Malaysia from Japan where the 705, 805, 875, and 905 were all made. I owned both an 805 and 875 that I have since sold to friends and both are preforming wonderfully.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how does the pioneer vsx 1020k stack up against what has been listed in the posts above?
And thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The Pioneer VSX-1020 output 28.7 Watts into 5 and 7 Channels when Bench Tested. Unless using very efficient Speakers and or a small Room, I would be cautious about getting one. I believe those numbers are from a Bench Test in Sound and Vision Magazine. And if not S&V, it was in Home Theater Magazine.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i took my 1991 sherwood rv1340r to the place i bought it with the original reciept. It has lifetime parts and service-they will get back to me. While there i noticed the service dept sells refurb stuff and had a SONY STR-DG920 for $297. Looked it over and plan to look again when i go back. Read some reviews and posts on the web. Any one have an opin on how this would serve my needs? I also visited the sales dept.
The cant help much with what i am trying to achieve, they can only pretty much expect me to buy everything new right now. They were confused about my old early video reciver and the fact that it could power 2 sets of fronts at 100w per and a singe set of rears at 20w per- probably because my rcvr was older than they are...but now a question about power ratings..my old-how does that compare to the specs today & i fear the idea od my small rears getting 100w...

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I will only say that AVR's are certainly not Sony's strong suit. After reading Bench Tests of their 2000 Dollar 6400ES outputting under 30 Watts into 5 Channels, I really have concerns about them.

Older AVR's would allow you to drive Dual Fronts at the same time fairly often, but most early ProLogic AVR's would have say 100 Watts for the Fronts, 50 for the Center Channel, and 20 Watts for the Surrounds.
Only late stage ProLogic AVR's even had equal power to the Center Channel and never to the Surrounds.

It was not until Dolby Digital that equal power to 5 Channels became the norm. The number of Channels have only gone up from there.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts