Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Upgrading from an onkyo 876

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Da Wiz 
#1 ·
I just need a 5.1 capable receiver for music. Problem is, I only have USB/hdmi/display port to transfer the audio signal.

I'm using the nano avr mini dsp which only accepts hdmi in.

If someone can recomend me something of just a power and a new eq to work with, great, if not, is my only option a receiver?

Tha is everyone, I know this is a strange request!

#2 ·
This is a very confusing/confused post. Why do you assume you need an AVR for 5.1 music? Are you unhappy with stereo music? For me, there is only ONE thing that sounds better than stereo music. That is 7.1.5 AuroMatic processing of original stereo music. If the AVR doesn't have Auro-3D/AuroMatic, I wouldn't even bother with it, because TrueHD and DTS-HD MA sound ****** in 5.1 (or 7.1.4). AuroMatic is the only post processing that makes multi-channel music sound better than stereo music. In my world, I will not purchase a receiver that does not support Auro-3D and AuroMatic. That limits you to specific Marantz and Denon models... not sure if any other manufacturers have added Auro-3D/AuroMatic support. If you are playing 5.1 music (recorded that way so standard decoding is all that's needed), there's no need for AuroMatic unless you just want better sound. AuroMatic makes stereo and 5.1 music sound better than it sounds with any other processing.

#3 ·
Thanks, that's what I was getting. Just I have four speakers and seeing what I should do, any software that's good for this and what not. Any receiver you would recommend that would be comparable to the receiver I'm using in terms of power and support 4 ohms?

#4 ·
Receivers are HORRIBLE with loudspeakers with 4 Ohm or lower impedance ratings. I would not use speakers with any AVR that are not 6-Ohms or 8-Ohms. You would have to spend $10,000 or more on a receiver with enough drive capability for 4 Ohm loudspeakers. You lose half the power of the AVR when you use one with 4 Ohm speakers. If you MUST run speakers with 4 Ohms or with 6 Ohms that have impedance dips down to 2 Ohms, you should be using 1 or more standalone amplifiers with a surround sound processor rather than an AVR. AVRs are already very limited in the current they can deliver and 4 Ohm speakers demand more current than 6 or 8 Ohm speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.