Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
originally tv came with stk392-110 if i upgrade to stk392-150 do i have to change resistors?

PANASONIC PT-53TW53

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You need to change resistors if there are any that are open or damaged. I know of no cases where the -150 does not directly sub for the -110. There might be some, but in many years of repairing these sets I never found one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I ordered stk392-110 for PT-53TW53G before i had even opened it. When i opened the TV it had stk392-150 that the previous tech upgraded to, so I replaced the chips anyway. When I turned it on it goes on for a bit you can see the display but then shuts off and blinks 3 times. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can i get the resistors from my local electronics store or have to order from Panasonic?
Will the convergence chips i put in be damaged now and how come the set would stay on before i changed the chips?
Can i still measure the resistors WITH the convergence chips soldered on?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you have open resistors, you likely damaged a chip. If your set was serviced previously and had another failure, you likely either had bad parts (very common) or a sloppy repair that does not pay attention to detail (also very common). The resistors should be available at any parts supplier with good selection. Online, Digi-Key is a good source.

Please read the first ten posts of the convergence repair sticky in the DIY Repair forum VERY carefully.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-repair-maintenance/5600-crt-based-rptv-convergence-repairs.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you have open resistors, you likely damaged a chip. If your set was serviced previously and had another failure, you likely either had bad parts (very common) or a sloppy repair that does not pay attention to detail (also very common). The resistors should be available at any parts supplier with good selection. Online, Digi-Key is a good source.
should i try the resistors first this way i can save the chips and hope i didnt damage them?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, replace the bad resistors and check your connections carefully first. You can run the set with the chips removed, so you can remove them one at a time and maybe identify which is bad. Check your power supplies to the ICs to be sure you did not blow a fuse or circuit protector.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your post has been moved to a more appropriate location to make information easier to find and to make it more likely that others who are interested will find your post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, replace the bad resistors and check your connections carefully first. You can run the set with the chips removed, so you can remove them one at a time and maybe identify which is bad. Check your power supplies to the ICs to be sure you did not blow a fuse or circuit protector.
do u have the manual can u tell me the value of the resistors associated with the convergence for thi set pt-53tw53g ? i have a descrepency from the email what i was told i was gonna get compare to what showedup in the mail

are the 82 and 120 ohm part of the convergence? Also i looked for the sticky for manuals i could not find it??
thanks

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You should download the manual and verify the circuit, as well as to have the convergence procedure BEFORE attempting to service your set. There are several sites that have free manuals, and virtually anything is available for under $20. We have sites listed in the stickies in the Service and Support forums and in the vendor listings.

Don't trust what you get from others online, and don't trust people who sell kits. Go with the correct documentation from the manufacturer and what is in your set and do your best to verify your understanding of the circuit. Typically, the resistors that fail are much lower ohm values than what you listed above, but resistors are easy to test with a multimeter. Just be aware of what is in the circuit in parallel with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should download the manual and verify the circuit, as well as to have the convergence procedure BEFORE attempting to service your set. There are several sites that have free manuals, and virtually anything is available for under $20. We have sites listed in the stickies in the Service and Support forums and in the vendor listings.

Don't trust what you get from others online, and don't trust people who sell kits. Go with the correct documentation from the manufacturer and what is in your set and do your best to verify your understanding of the circuit. Typically, the resistors that fail are much lower ohm values than what you listed above, but resistors are easy to test with a multimeter. Just be aware of what is in the circuit in parallel with them.
convergence resistors are usually low correct? Can they go up to 120ohm?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are usually some in the circuit in that range. It is more common for the lower value resistors on the outputs to fail. Regargless, you work with what your set presents. If there are resistors that are open or damaged, they need to be replaced with original values unless there is a modification from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are usually some in the circuit in that range. It is more common for the lower value resistors on the outputs to fail. Regargless, you work with what your set presents. If there are resistors that are open or damaged, they need to be replaced with original values unless there is a modification from the manufacturer.
just curious why they only included the small values. i guess cause they are most common

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i looked at the resistors and 2 looked burnt. i took them out but still measure 2.2 i replaced them tv still turns on and shuts off for a few seconds. i didnt have this problem before i changed the chips.
Kit came with stk392-110 I pulled stk392-150 out of it. I assume previous tech put stk9392-150 in so c ould i be bad chips?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tvrepairkits. They just included the 2.2 ones which I guess are the output resistors. So did u see my other reply of what's currently happeneing with the tv

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, I saw it. You probably missed something and damaged a chip or you got bad chips to start with. If resistors are damaged I would replace them.

Please read the sticky thread very carefully. It is very hard these days to get good parts since most are not originals, even if they are claimed to be. You can run the set with the chips removed to confirm that you do not have some other problem. Verify the power supplies to the ICs are present and check the d.c. offset.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you cannot make basic checks to troubleshoot your set like measuring supply voltages, you probably will not be successful in repairing it. As you can see from the convergence repair sticky thread, there are many potential ways that these repairs can be more complex than simply buying a kit and replacing the parts. I have provided a quite thorough discussion of the nature of these problems and the many things that need to be considered and checked. The cold hard truth is that not every problem can be solved by matching symptoms to the parts that need to be changed. This is why there are professional repair technicians with years of training who still have trouble figuring out some of the more challenging problems.

My suggestion is to either follow the advice in the convergence repair thread very carefully, get a multimeter and make the basic checks suggested, get the service manual and come to understand enough of the circuit and convergence procedures to make some basic checks and alignments, and start from scratch with the repair using parts from a known reliable supplier.

Otherwise, you are just "shotgunning" the repair and you may or may not get anywhere. The next steps require some troubleshooting and analysis. It is impossible to give good advice on how to proceed without some basic troubleshooting having been done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts