Good call on not recess mounting the drivers. As you stated they are very heavy and you will damage not only the finish but also the shape of the mounting surface itself if you try to pry one out. I know this because I've done it before.I used 8ga KnuKonceptz blue power cable to connect the voice coils in series. I used Sound King 8ga red and black power cable to connect the driver to the Neutrik connector. To avoid any possibility of having any vibrations due to the cable hitting the inner walls, I wrapped each cable with BMW OEM fabric wire loom wrap. The filling will also surround the cables so I should have no tapping issues.
To avoid the series cable from making any noise, I left no slack in its length and also hot glued it to two contact points on the basket. All cables are soldered on their ends to make for a solid surface to insert into the spring loaded connectors. I do wish the drivers had binding posts so i could use banana plugs.
Going through all the threads on the forum, I never saw anyone explain how they actually installed these heavy drivers in their enclosures. So here's my intended approach:
Step #1: Suspend the driver over the opening [using a 3/4" board protected with microfiber clothes], connect the cables and rotate it so that the mounting holes line up with the ones in the baffle.
Step #2: With nitride gloves on, lift the driver slightly while someone else slides the board out.
Step #3: Proceed to crush the tips of all ten digits while lowering the driver to line up.
I deliberately did not recess the basket edge because I think it would make it VERY hard to pry the driver back out in case I need to remove it later. Here you can also see the speaker gasket installed to the underside of the driver. I didn't want anything sticking on my newly painted surface.
Thoughts on how they perform (assuming you've had the chance to pour some solid power to them)?For now, I'll continue discussion regarding tuning and sound impressions in my other thread I linked in post #1. Any questions about the build, I'd be happy to answer here.
I'm still waiting for my amplifier to arrive. I decided on a Speaker Power SP2-4800-DP. It should be plenty of power. I'll report back once I get it connected and tuned...Thoughts on how they perform (assuming you've had the chance to pour some solid power to them)?
It will not. The majority of the compliance of the suspension is actually from the surround, not the spider, and the surround is very durable and reliable. Even though there is a good bit of moving mass on your drivers the drivers will not sag over time...unless your understanding of "time" is thirty or fourty years at which point it may sag a few millimeters. :wink2:Nick (Electrodynamic): If I orient my enclosures so that the driver is facing up, will this introduce any negative long term effects to the suspension?
Awesome! Thanks for the long-term review. Do you have any pictures of the subwoofers in the enclosures?Just a long term update of the subs...
I decided not to build the grills. I've had no issues with the enclosures getting bumped, spilled on or any sort of contact other than need for a quarterly wipe for dust. And they look smaller than they would with a grill [tall enough to clear the surround] attached using the magnets I embedded. Besides, the cone and surround are a source of conversation for guests, haha. The paint finish still looks brand new as well.
Regarding performance, they're still providing the low end I've enjoyed since Day 1. The amplifier has been a great match for it as they both reach their limits simultaneously. I did have to get an electrician put it on its on circuit from the breaker.
Still very happy with my work and equipment purchases...
Very cool looking! I really dig that paint color.Not a problem! The single stage paint color is just great to me. :sn:
The first picture was taken when I finished them back in 2016. The second picture I took today in the location they've been in for the past year. In the far back, the SpeakerPower amplifier is in a little stand I made so that it would site vertically against the wall. Keen eyes will notice that I alternated the screw finishes.
I also noticed that DropBox's new public link change some time ago impacted ALL of my pictures in this thread. I'll have to fix that....sorry everyone.