Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not happy with UPS at all. I recently purchased a very rare Amiga 4000 tower setup that will allow me to continue to edit video using the non liner system that I have.
The person shipped it in a box that was three times the size of the tower and completely wrapped it in bubble wrap and then filled all the extra gaps with Styrofoam pellets. The box was clearly labeled on all sides with large stickers saying FRAGILE and they still managed to damage the computer.
The bottom of the Tower case was bent in about one inch and the entire cover was out of place. Inside the hard drives were still in place but the 4 cards were completely knocked out of there sockets and obviously banging around.:unbelievable:
This is the third time I have shipped or received something heavy (over 50lbs) from UPS that they have banged around and dammaged!
What is wrong with them!
Its not like I can get a replacement of this computer as they are not made any more.:crying: I pray that it is still working or I'm going to be really upset.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It ain't just UPS... Fed-ex does it too. I have had bad luck on numerous occasions with UPS and Fed-ex. If you ship enough and get enough shipped to you, it becomes crystal clear why we fully insure a shipment. If one of those guys at the loading docks has a headache or is in a bad mood, has a beef with the boss or the company, no telling how many packages are liable to get damaged that day.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'v had much better luck with Fedex but I agree. Sadly insurance is not going to be able to replace it if it is broken. My gut feeling is that its ok as Commodore really made these things bullet proof but I wont know until tonight or tomorrow night.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It ain't just UPS... Fed-ex does it too. I have had bad luck on numerous occasions with UPS and Fed-ex. If you ship enough and get enough shipped to you, it becomes crystal clear why we fully insure a shipment.
Also, unfortunately, the claims process can be such a pain in the rear that it's almost not worth it, unless the value is pretty high, or the item is unusable.
I've written off damage that was cosmetic, just because I didn't want to deal with the process. Maybe that's part of their nefarious plan.

The best thing to do for things that come apart like cards or hard drives in a PC, or tubes in an amp, is to take them out, pack them separately in a little box of their own inside the big box, and pray.
For big things like my Klipsch Quartets with the mashed-in top front corners and broken feet, you just have to have lots and lots of layers and crush space in the packaging.

All of the above adds cost, of course. More weight, bigger size = :spend:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Also, unfortunately, the claims process can be such a pain in the rear that it's almost not worth it, unless the value is pretty high, or the item is unusable.
I've written off damage that was cosmetic, just because I didn't want to deal with the process. Maybe that's part of their nefarious plan.
They haven't been all that bad for me thus far, with the exception of one.

I had a UPS claim on the glass front of my McIntosh amp... UPS told me to get the replacement and repair cost estimate and fax it to them. In a week I had a check.

Fed-ex delivered my brothers speakers here to the office, one was cracked at the bottom. Within a week they had the manufacturer send another one. Believe it or not, the replacement speaker had a cracked base plate, which was easily removable and replaceable... they had me another in a few days.

Yellow Freight sent me a check for a small nick on a speaker when I settled with them on the phone.

My worst experience was with BAX Global when they delivered my VMPS RMS30's. Neither speaker worked because something happened in transit to the ribbon speakers in both speakers to mess them up... and the bottom of one of the speakers was cracked very bad... AND... all three of the LCR speakers had bad marks on the cabinets from improper handling. BAX would not allow me to have any part of the claim. They required VMPS to handle it all since VMPS purchased the insurance. They ultimately refused to pay for whatever reasons, but fortunately six months later VMPS sent me a brand new set with some extras, which I turned around and sold without ever opening the new boxes. Low and behold the guy I sold them to had to file a claim with his shipping company he used because of shipping damage (he arranged all the shipping from his end to save money).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get it from the U.S.? If so what were the "brokerage" charges that they always ding us Canadians for?
My Onkyo receiver was just under $50 and GST and so was this shipment so it must be a flat rate.
Check your spell checker, Mike, shouldn't that be "breakage" charges? :bigsmile:
so very true.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It ain't just UPS... Fed-ex does it too. I have had bad luck on numerous occasions with UPS and Fed-ex. If you ship enough and get enough shipped to you, it becomes crystal clear why we fully insure a shipment. If one of those guys at the loading docks has a headache or is in a bad mood, has a beef with the boss or the company, no telling how many packages are liable to get damaged that day.
I am bias. Cast Away is my fovorite movie and Tom Hanks is my favorite actor. Sorry about the shipping problems. I have found that FedEx drives down my driveway and UPS does not. :neener:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I tried to power up the computer last night and no go. the PS is working but there was no other life so I striped it down to its bare motherboard. and just left the floppy drive plugged in (the Amiga can boot off of a floppy even if there is no drive in it) Still no go. so I reseated all the parts on the motherboard that can be (the CPU was not properly in place) I powered it on again and low and behold it is working :)
Now I get to replace one card at a time until its all back together, Hopefully it keeps working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts