Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi please can someone point me in the right direction cant seem to find instructions?

OS Windows XP

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John thanks

So select Acoustic Timing Reference in the preferences and leave selected for all measurements for now on?

Is there anything else I should select/change in the preferences?

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
That really depends on what it is you are trying to do. If you want measurements that showing timing relative to a reference, turn it on. If you don't, turn it off.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi John thank you.

Here is a step by step from Minidsp
Is this for HDMI?
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew/measuring-time-delay

In the preference soundcard panel I have set the following is this correct?
I have not got HDMI and are using Java

Output Device = O/S soundcard (not sure what it is called
Output = Default
Channel = Right

Input Device = UMIK
Input = Default
Channel = Left

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
As a general point, do not leave the input and output on default, set them to the option offered in the drop-down menu.

What are you trying to achieve by making measurements with a timing reference? If you can explain what you are trying to do it will be easier to understand whether the acoustic timing reference will help and, if so, how you should use it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a general point, do not leave the input and output on default, set them to the option offered in the drop-down menu.

What are you trying to achieve by making measurements with a timing reference? If you can explain what you are trying to do it will be easier to understand whether the acoustic timing reference will help and, if so, how you should use it.
Thanks John

I am trying to set the distance in the receiver for time alignment.

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Alignment of which speakers? If it is the main speakers and/or surrounds, use a tape measure. If it is the sub then the acoustic timing reference will not be helpful as it cannot accurately determine delays for subwoofers. There are other threads on setting sub delays, such as this one.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alignment of which speakers? If it is the main speakers and/or surrounds, use a tape measure. If it is the sub then the acoustic timing reference will not be helpful as it cannot accurately determine delays for subwoofers. There are other threads on setting sub delays, such as this one.
Hi John thank you

Yes it is for the mains and surrounds.
Is the acoustic reference not suited for this?
If not please explain what its purpose is.

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
It could be used for that, but it will take a lot longer than just using a tape measure as with Java drivers you can only send signals to the left or right channels so you will have to manually shift connections to the other channels somehow.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could be used for that, but it will take a lot longer than just using a tape measure as with Java drivers you can only send signals to the left or right channels so you will have to manually shift connections to the other channels somehow.
Thanks John to measure the surrounds I would need to use 90 degree file?
Also SPL would need to use the 90 degree file?

What is the Acoustic Reference main purpose?

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Use the 90 degree file if you point the mic straight up, use the zero degree file if you point the mic at the speaker you are measuring.

The timing reference allows different measurements to be compared or combined in magnitude and phase as they share a common timing reference.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks John

I measured all speakers and they all said -200mm delay (in the info panel), except for the left speaker (which is the reference channel). It read -750mm, but when re-measured it also said -200mm, re-measured again and back to -750mm, what could this be?

Thanks again

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The reference channel should measure zero, it can't be delayed relative to itself. What frequency range did you measure over? Was any other channel playing at the same time?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The reference channel should measure zero, it can't be delayed relative to itself. What frequency range did you measure over? Was any other channel playing at the same time?
Hi John 0-20,000hz + only left channel playing

Could it be the computer, its old?

I left the Acoustic Timing selected for all measurements.

Thanks

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I'm not sure what could cause that. If you post an mdat with a measurement of the left and right channels there might be some clue there.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi John when looking at the impulse and comparing 2 measurements, should I be looking at the biggest peak/negative or where it reaches 100.
Sometimes it doesn't reach 100

Thank you

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The biggest, but the biggest should always reach 100% or 0 dB if the impulse graph controls are set to normalise to the peak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts