Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time I ran REW but it was so inconsistent (operator issues I'm sure) I gave up and purchased OmniMic. Because an enthusiastic REW supporter claimed (on avs) that with this new USB mic that REW is now plug-n-play, I just purchased the new USB mic specifically for REW and I'm still having issues.

How does the mic cal file get loaded and how do I know that it has? What boxes or pull down option in the sound card tab do I use and what setting. Is there a step by step guide available. I am willingto invest SOME time to get this running but if it is on the same level of complexity as it was before, I'll continue to use OmniMic.

Help!!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Once upon a time I ran REW but it was so inconsistent (operator issues I'm sure) I gave up and purchased OmniMic. Because an enthusiastic REW supporter claimed (on avs) that with this new USB mic that REW is now plug-n-play, I just purchased the new USB mic specifically for REW and I'm still having issues.
- You should get this "enthusiastic REW supporter" to walk you through it . If he can't, it simply means "he got lucky" while you aren't .

How does the mic cal file get loaded and how do I know that it has? What boxes or pull down option in the sound card tab do I use and what setting. Is there a step by step guide available. I am willing to invest SOME time to get this running but if it is on the same level of complexity as it was before, I'll continue to use OmniMic.

Help!!
- I don't have a UMIK-1 USB mic ( or any usb mic ) but it's my belief that the latest version ( Beta 12 / which is the one you can't run ) loads it automatically .
- Verification of any "auto-load" would be seen inside the "Mic/Meter" tab within the "Preference" window .

- ( OTOH ) the auto sensing & loading of the UMIK-1 calibration file may still be a "work in progress" :huh: .

- Until REW is more KISS oriented ( or is perhaps released in a "lite" version ) you might want to keep using OmniMic .

:sn:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

How does the mic cal file get loaded and how do I know that it has? What boxes or pull down option in the sound card tab do I use and what setting. Is there a step by step guide available. I am willingto invest SOME time to get this running but if it is on the same level of complexity as it was before, I'll continue to use OmniMic.

Help!!

I use a USB mic.

Basically setup as usual but connect the RCA to the laptops output (i use headphones). This will send REW test signals to the amp. Adjust the laptops volume to about 50% (i use 60%).

Although laptops soundcards are generally flat i still did the calibration. If you want you can make the laptops soundcard calibration, by looping the input > output (or mic input > headphones out in my case) and following the instructions for soundcard calibration.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
If you use REW V5.01 beta 12 then the steps are:

- plug in the UMIK-1
- start REW
- When REW says it has detected the UMIK-1 and asks if you would like to use it, say yes.
- When REW then asks if you have a cal file for the mic (which you download by following a link in the email MiniDSP send when you order the mic) say yes and select the mic in the browser window that pops up.

If you are not using whatever is set up in Windows as your default sound output to send test signals to your system, open the REW soundcard preferences and select whatever you are using for output in the output device and output boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts