Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was planning on plugging in an 18 inch enforcer 1200 watt rms sub to my Sony av receiver. The inputs on the sub are 1/4" and the sub out on the receiver is a female RCA jack. Is there a cable that goes from an RCA jack to a 1/4" jack? Also my other question would be that do you think this would work? Would the av receiver be able to send a strong enough signal to the amp on the sub to make it sound good and go loud?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello,
I was planning on plugging in an 18 inch enforcer 1200 watt rms sub to my Sony av receiver. The inputs on the sub are 1/4" and the sub out on the receiver is a female RCA jack. Is there a cable that goes from an RCA jack to a 1/4" jack? Also my other question would be that do you think this would work? Would the av receiver be able to send a strong enough signal to the amp on the sub to make it sound good and go loud?
Thanks!
The thing with pro subs is, they don't go as low as subs for home use. They are meant to be highly efficient and play loud, not hit the lowest depths. The Enforcers don't even publish frequency response numbers. My guess is you will be lucky to see the sub hit 30Hz. YMMV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used a art cleanbox pro. It will convert consumer level to pro level with no noticeable noise added. I use it between my Pioneer vsx-32 and the crown xls1000 I use to power my sub. I went from max gain (12) on my pioneer to 5 and the 4 o'clock position on my crown gain level to about 10 o'clock. Naturally the sub sound much better.

You will need a xlr to 1/4 cable for it to work with your sub, but it will work. It goes for about $65 everywhere

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a art cleanbox pro. It will convert consumer level to pro level with no noticeable noise added. I use it between my Pioneer vsx-32 and the crown xls1000 I use to power my sub. I went from max gain (12) on my pioneer to 5 and the 4 o'clock position on my crown gain level to about 10 o'clock. Naturally the sub sound much better.

You will need a xlr to 1/4 cable for it to work with your sub, but it will work. It goes for about $65 everywhere
Would this work with an amp that is in the sub? It sub is active and doesn't have an external amp

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The thing with pro subs is, they don't go as low as subs for home use. They are meant to be highly efficient and play loud, not hit the lowest depths. The Enforcers don't even publish frequency response numbers. My guess is you will be lucky to see the sub hit 30Hz. YMMV.
Correct, in a large PA venue it would take a tremendous amount of power and size to reproduce the frequencies below 30Hz so these subs focus on the upper end of the bass range.
Would this work with an amp that is in the sub? It sub is active and doesn't have an external amp
Yes, a "direct box" as its known will do the trick. You can find many manufacturers of these in music stores that sell instruments. The sell for as little as $25

1 - 11 of 11 Posts